Binding early decision Chicago...Chances? Worth it? HELP!

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Would you apply early decision and go to Chicago or stay at T1?

Chicago
9
56%
T1 w/ Full Ride
7
44%
 
Total votes: 16

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Binding early decision Chicago...Chances? Worth it? HELP!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:26 pm

At a regional tier one. Ranked #2 in the class. Have a full tuition scholarship. Secured two biglaw positions in Texas (my target market) for this upcoming summer.

Had transferring in the back of my mind until professor during office hours practically screamed "OH MY GOD. YOU NEED TO TRANSFER." Told me HYS might be impossible, but early decision at Chicago is doable.

1) Would love to be at Chicago, but there are no scholarships for transfers, and that's quite a huge difference.
2) I would likely come back to Texas, but prof said Chicago degree is worth it long term.
3) Leaning more towards transactional work, so honestly not sure about federal clerkships.
4) Academia sounds interesting, but I know i'd like to work at a firm at the beginning of my career.

ALSO, if I do early decision, can I just end up staying at my current institution and simply not transfer at all?

AND, early decision Chicago might be a really good idea because I have constitutional law this semester and...actual possibility that I wont be #2 after this semester. Thoughts?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5703
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Binding early decision Chicago...Chances? Worth it? HELP!

Postby BVest » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At a regional tier one and GPA is a 3.9x. Ranked #2 in the class. Have a full tuition scholarship. Secured two biglaw positions in Texas (my target market) for this upcoming summer.

Had transferring in the back of my mind until professor during office hours practically screamed "OH MY GOD. YOU NEED TO TRANSFER." Told me HYS might be impossible, but early decision at Chicago is doable.

1) Would love to be at Chicago, but there are no scholarships for transfers, and that's quite a huge difference.
2) I would likely come back to Texas, but prof said Chicago degree is worth it long term.
3) Leaning more towards transactional work, so honestly not sure about federal clerkships.
4) Academia sounds interesting, but I know i'd like to work at a firm at the beginning of my career.

ALSO, if I do early decision, can I just end up staying at my current institution and simply not transfer at all?

AND, early decision Chicago might be a really good idea because I have constitutional law this semester and...actual possibility that I wont be #2 after this semester. Thoughts?


First of all, if HYS were possible, why in the world would you do Chicago early and binding? Secondly, it sounds like your T1 is in Texas (Baylor/UH/SMU), correct? Thus, its OCI is likely to include the usual who's who of Texas big law. You clearly have the goods to get the attention of Texas big law and with your position you'll do well where you are. There is absolutely NO reason you should transfer if that's what you want to do, especially if you're not looking for clerkships and only have a passing interest in academia. You've got a full ride. Is the prestige alone really worth $100k + the increased cost of living (not to mention the new winter wardrobe)?

And lastly, does your professor think your current institution is so much of a shithole that s/he needs to advise students like you to get out (admittedly s/he may think you're paying sticker)?

WheninLaw
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: Binding early decision Chicago...Chances? Worth it? HELP!

Postby WheninLaw » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:51 am

BVest wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At a regional tier one and GPA is a 3.9x. Ranked #2 in the class. Have a full tuition scholarship. Secured two biglaw positions in Texas (my target market) for this upcoming summer.

Had transferring in the back of my mind until professor during office hours practically screamed "OH MY GOD. YOU NEED TO TRANSFER." Told me HYS might be impossible, but early decision at Chicago is doable.

1) Would love to be at Chicago, but there are no scholarships for transfers, and that's quite a huge difference.
2) I would likely come back to Texas, but prof said Chicago degree is worth it long term.
3) Leaning more towards transactional work, so honestly not sure about federal clerkships.
4) Academia sounds interesting, but I know i'd like to work at a firm at the beginning of my career.

ALSO, if I do early decision, can I just end up staying at my current institution and simply not transfer at all?

AND, early decision Chicago might be a really good idea because I have constitutional law this semester and...actual possibility that I wont be #2 after this semester. Thoughts?


First of all, if HYS were possible, why in the world would you do Chicago early and binding? Secondly, it sounds like your T1 is in Texas (Baylor/UH/SMU), correct? Thus, its OCI is likely to include the usual who's who of Texas big law. You clearly have the goods to get the attention of Texas big law and with your position you'll do well where you are. There is absolutely NO reason you should transfer if that's what you want to do, especially if you're not looking for clerkships and only have a passing interest in academia. You've got a full ride. Is the prestige alone really worth $100k + the increased cost of living (not to mention the new winter wardrobe)?

And lastly, does your professor think your current institution is so much of a shithole that s/he needs to advise students like you to get out (admittedly s/he may think you're paying sticker)?


I attend Chicago and agree with the above. You have no reason to transfer. Sure, only the tippity-top will get TX big law from your school. But you are there, congrats. I'm not sure what transferring does for you besides dat prestige. Do your best to chill your ego out and really reflect on taking on 100K+ debt for that.

thirtyandseven
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:36 pm

Re: Binding early decision Chicago...Chances? Worth it? HELP!

Postby thirtyandseven » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:41 pm

I'll play devil's advocate a bit for the above posters.

Academia sounds interesting, but I know i'd like to work at a firm at the beginning of my career.


Was only slightly leaning transfer until this point; IMO this is dispositive. Chicago gives you an exponentially better shot at academia. Meanwhile, the degree portability is far higher in the event you ever decide a different region is interesting. You'll still have your very good grades from this year going into Chicago's OCI (from which Texas firms recruit), in addition to stronger Texas ties than most of your competition. All said and done, I think the transfer leaves you with a nearly-as-good shot at Texas biglaw, a chance to go into academia if you do well, and the satisfaction of earning your JD from Chicago.

Of course, as the above posters point out, it also leaves you with 100k+ debt--not a trivial factor; however, if I were in your position, I'd accept that cost gladly to obtain those benefits. You only go to law school once, and for me personally, I would rather not spend my life with nagging "what ifs" in the back of my mind knowing that I had a very real shot at a much better school.

Admittedly, having given up scholarship funds to transfer myself (to a less highly-ranked school), I am already somewhat biased. I'd make that decision again in a heartbeat, though, so I'd encourage you to consider whether saving 100k is worth the limitations in the long run (that is not meant to be a rhetorical question but a genuine cost-benefit consideration).

*As a side note before I get mobbed for encouraging other people to waste money on transferring for prestige ITE, I readily acknowledge that this analysis might be very different for people with different aspirations and transfer options than OP.*

WheninLaw
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: Binding early decision Chicago...Chances? Worth it? HELP!

Postby WheninLaw » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:57 am

thirtyandseven wrote:I'll play devil's advocate a bit for the above posters.

Academia sounds interesting, but I know i'd like to work at a firm at the beginning of my career.


Was only slightly leaning transfer until this point; IMO this is dispositive. Chicago gives you an exponentially better shot at academia. Meanwhile, the degree portability is far higher in the event you ever decide a different region is interesting. You'll still have your very good grades from this year going into Chicago's OCI (from which Texas firms recruit), in addition to stronger Texas ties than most of your competition. All said and done, I think the transfer leaves you with a nearly-as-good shot at Texas biglaw, a chance to go into academia if you do well, and the satisfaction of earning your JD from Chicago.

Of course, as the above posters point out, it also leaves you with 100k+ debt--not a trivial factor; however, if I were in your position, I'd accept that cost gladly to obtain those benefits. You only go to law school once, and for me personally, I would rather not spend my life with nagging "what ifs" in the back of my mind knowing that I had a very real shot at a much better school.

Admittedly, having given up scholarship funds to transfer myself (to a less highly-ranked school), I am already somewhat biased. I'd make that decision again in a heartbeat, though, so I'd encourage you to consider whether saving 100k is worth the limitations in the long run (that is not meant to be a rhetorical question but a genuine cost-benefit consideration).

*As a side note before I get mobbed for encouraging other people to waste money on transferring for prestige ITE, I readily acknowledge that this analysis might be very different for people with different aspirations and transfer options than OP.*


OP, please ignore this post. At the very least, ignore the thoughts on academia. By "exponentially better shot" you mean going from 0% to 0.2%? Taking on $100K+ for a near-zero shot at something that "sounds interesting" is insane. I agree that this entails a cost-benefit analysis, but please understand the actual costs and the actual benefits.

User avatar
downinDtown
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Re: Binding early decision Chicago...Chances? Worth it? HELP!

Postby downinDtown » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:At a regional tier one. Ranked #2 in the class. Have a full tuition scholarship. Secured two biglaw positions in Texas (my target market) for this upcoming summer.

Had transferring in the back of my mind until professor during office hours practically screamed "OH MY GOD. YOU NEED TO TRANSFER." Told me HYS might be impossible, but early decision at Chicago is doable.

1) Would love to be at Chicago, but there are no scholarships for transfers, and that's quite a huge difference.
2) I would likely come back to Texas, but prof said Chicago degree is worth it long term.
3) Leaning more towards transactional work, so honestly not sure about federal clerkships.
4) Academia sounds interesting, but I know i'd like to work at a firm at the beginning of my career.

ALSO, if I do early decision, can I just end up staying at my current institution and simply not transfer at all?

AND, early decision Chicago might be a really good idea because I have constitutional law this semester and...actual possibility that I wont be #2 after this semester. Thoughts?

IMO, the only reason to incur that much in additional costs is to lock down opportunities for lucrative firm positions, which you've already done. If you want to transfer to a school that would give you more "cachet" in TX and open up more possibilities for federal clerkships, while still being a cost-effective option (read: less debt), go UT (don't know if you'd get in-state tuition or not). Since you've already locked down 2 SAs, you won't be in the same situation as other transfers and will likely have similar success at 2L OCI.

If you're not going for HYS (for the academic route or clerkships) and you just want TX biglaw first: CCN or UT is better than the rest of the T14. CCN is better for clerkships though. But UT would be half the cost of Chicago (plus cheaper COL) and would more give you some more "prestige" (at least by TX standards). But hey, graduating Summa Cum Laude is preftigious too.

thirtyandseven
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:36 pm

Re: Binding early decision Chicago...Chances? Worth it? HELP!

Postby thirtyandseven » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:29 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
OP, please ignore this post. At the very least, ignore the thoughts on academia. By "exponentially better shot" you mean going from 0% to 0.2%? Taking on $100K+ for a near-zero shot at something that "sounds interesting" is insane. I agree that this entails a cost-benefit analysis, but please understand the actual costs and the actual benefits.


You really want to be claiming that just 0.2% of the Chicago class goes into academia at some point in their career? And, you think that a person with OP's credentials is not at least as likely as any other Chicago student to be among those numbers if s/he were to transfer? No one said it was likely OP gets academia, but it is certainly impossible from OP's current school.

WheninLaw
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: Binding early decision Chicago...Chances? Worth it? HELP!

Postby WheninLaw » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:00 pm

thirtyandseven wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
OP, please ignore this post. At the very least, ignore the thoughts on academia. By "exponentially better shot" you mean going from 0% to 0.2%? Taking on $100K+ for a near-zero shot at something that "sounds interesting" is insane. I agree that this entails a cost-benefit analysis, but please understand the actual costs and the actual benefits.


You really want to be claiming that just 0.2% of the Chicago class goes into academia at some point in their career? And, you think that a person with OP's credentials is not at least as likely as any other Chicago student to be among those numbers if s/he were to transfer? No one said it was likely OP gets academia, but it is certainly impossible from OP's current school.


Yes, I really want to claim that. I think the highest number I saw over the past 8 years was .5%. That's 1 person in the class. And that is generous, because it's not a lottery. That person will likely have a PHD. There is a small excuse to transferring to HYS because of an interest in academia, but not for Chicago.

thirtyandseven
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:36 pm

Re: Binding early decision Chicago...Chances? Worth it? HELP!

Postby thirtyandseven » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:56 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
thirtyandseven wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
OP, please ignore this post. At the very least, ignore the thoughts on academia. By "exponentially better shot" you mean going from 0% to 0.2%? Taking on $100K+ for a near-zero shot at something that "sounds interesting" is insane. I agree that this entails a cost-benefit analysis, but please understand the actual costs and the actual benefits.


You really want to be claiming that just 0.2% of the Chicago class goes into academia at some point in their career? And, you think that a person with OP's credentials is not at least as likely as any other Chicago student to be among those numbers if s/he were to transfer? No one said it was likely OP gets academia, but it is certainly impossible from OP's current school.


Yes, I really want to claim that. I think the highest number I saw over the past 8 years was .5%. That's 1 person in the class. And that is generous, because it's not a lottery. That person will likely have a PHD. There is a small excuse to transferring to HYS because of an interest in academia, but not for Chicago.


It's right on their website that 4% of c/o 2011 went into academia...by 9 months after graduation. i.e., not even counting those who clerk/go biglaw/etc then turn to academia.

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective/employmentdata

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Binding early decision Chicago...Chances? Worth it? HELP!

Postby Big Dog » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:15 am

numbers are very small, but Chicago is highly regarded for producing academics, particularly to top law schools:

http://leiterrankings.com/new/2011_LawTeachers.shtml




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.