MVB -> CLS?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

MVB -> CLS?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:00 am

Is a T10 to T6 transfer ever advisable? I moved to a law school in an area where I had no former ties because I thought I was interested in the home market (read: Chicago/DC/SF). I've since concluded that I'd much rather be in New York and have been toying with the idea of transferring to CLS, which was originally my dream school (but I didn't get in). If I do well this semester, I should have the grades to transfer, but I'm concerned it will look bad to employers. Obviously, if I have the grades to transfer I should have the grades for big law (my goal) at my current school, but is the idea of moving to the place I want to live early plus attending my dream school worth it?

Nebby

Re: MVB -> CLS?

Postby Nebby » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:but is the idea of moving to the place I want to live early plus attending my dream school worth it?

You got one life brah. Live it. You've already answered your own question. Here's your +1 validation point.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:05 am

How much are you paying? This kind of transfer is hard to justify because even with no scholly money CLS is likely more expensive. If you have a scholarship at your current school then stay. I also wouldn't give up law review. But if you miss LR and the cost difference is small then go for it.

Jwood

Postby Jwood » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:57 pm

Last edited by Jwood on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:40 pm

Thanks for the responses guys! I'm actually paying sticker at my current school. I've thought about trying to negotiate some money but I'll obviously have to have an acceptance in hand.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the responses guys! I'm actually paying sticker at my current school. I've thought about trying to negotiate some money but I'll obviously have to have an acceptance in hand.

Pfffft. If you get CLS just go, that's my opinion. Unless you think the scholarship money outweighs your interest in the NYC market, living in NYC, and the fact that CLS is your dream school. Live that dream!

mtn663

Postby mtn663 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:44 pm

A little late here, but I think transfers out of M to H/C/N aren't that rare when people realize they dislike Ann Arbor; B/V is less common I think. In any event, NYC employers wouldn't think negatively of it.

The only reason I'd hesitate is if you think there's ever a chance you'd want to leave NYC and return to your secondary in the future, and you don't have other ties to that secondary, in particular if we're talking about SF. I doubt you'll have problems getting NYC if you stay, the paucity of MV and especially B alums in NYC is mostly self-selection.

If you think you'd be at all borderline for acceptance and you really want to be in NYC, then applying to NYU as well would make sense...

Return to “Transfers”