Transferring from target market good idea?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transferring from target market good idea?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:37 pm

NJ is a unique legal market. Does it make sense to transfer from a NJ school to a t14 when I want to work in NJ? Being top of NJ school better than going to t14? Paying near sticker

brotherdarkness

Re: Transferring from target market good idea?

Postby brotherdarkness » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:47 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:50 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:I'll give you my anecdotal experience and then ask some follow-up questions to flesh this out.

I spent my 1L year at a school that feeds the Chicago market. I have a lot of family in Chicago, but 1L was the first time I'd lived in the region. I'm from California and transferred to Berkeley. Before I left Chicago, I met with a few Chicago firms. At Berkeley's OCI, I met with more Chicago firms. In total, I interviewed with about 5 Chicago firms and was rebuffed from them all. One interviewer flat out said that, had I truly wanted to live and work in Chicago (he said this in a tone that made it very clear he thought I was lying when I said I wanted to be there), I should not have left my 1L school or transferred to NU or UChi. So, in my experience, leaving a market can be fatal.

Now, had I been a resident of Chicago before law school or had more substantive ties, things might have been different. As such, it's important to know of your ties to New Jersey. Are you from the area, or is law school your first time living in the market?

Additionally, I transferred to a school in my home state which is thousands of miles from the Chicago market. You can transfer up and still remain in the region. I don't know if New Jersey firms would see you as a flight risk if, rather than transfer to a school on the other side of the country, you aim for schools like Columbia, NYU, or even Penn. Which schools are you considering? If you say you're thinking of coming out to California, for example, I'd advise against doing so if New Jersey is your target market.

I have very strong ties...I might not be able to get into CLS, but likely in at G-town

would it make sense to transfer to georgetown?

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:53 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:56 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:I was hoping you wouldn't say GULC. It's just far enough away for me to be hesitant suggesting that you go for it, but just close enough for me to be uncomfortable saying that it's a bad idea.

Let's suppose you are admitted to GULC and your school is unwilling to re-negotiate your scholarship. Would you be comfortable bidding both New Jersey and New York as a means of protecting your ass? Is it New Jersey biglaw or bust, or New Jersey biglaw or any biglaw?

How does your current school do with the New Jersey firms you're interested in?

My goal is NJ biglaw...NY biglaw does not really seem sustainable for me in the long run...top 10% get NJ biglaw at my school...I'm just within that percentage

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:57 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:06 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:In that case, I would apply to other schools with the goal of staying at your school with a hefty scholarship.

so GULC not worth it over NJ sticker?

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:34 pm

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:37 pm

Are we talking in-state sticker or Seton Hall sticker? Either way, gun this semester like you've never gunned before and try to get into CLS/NYU.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:28 am

Not sure what your grades are, but I was from NJ, at the top of my class at a NJ school... and chose the far-away T14. I'd say it was definitely worth it in the long run, even though I sometimes regretted it in the short term. But I wouldn't (and didn't) go to GULC.

And seriously, if you're paying sticker, you at least need to apply. Just because you can try to use an acceptance to get $$$$. Especially if you're going to Seton Hall.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:12 am

What are your grades? GPA? Curve? Class rank? School rank? (T1 or T2?)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:54 pm

bump

Return to “Transfers”