Brooklyn Law to ?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
WolverineMachine

Brooklyn Law to ?

Postby WolverineMachine » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:59 am

I'm here on a $45k/yr scholarship but I'm toying with the idea of possibly transferring. I like it here but I don't love it. I only ended up with a 3.3 this first semester but wanted to see what my options were pending I improve (how much?) next semester. I'm from the NY area and I feel like NYU/CLS are a long shot and Fordham just isnt worth the leap especially because of their no transfer OCI policy. Can I get into a t-14 or a school close to it if even worth it?

Nova

Re: Brooklyn Law to ?

Postby Nova » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:12 am

Estimate your class rank

WolverineMachine

Postby WolverineMachine » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:17 am

At the moment, I'd say top 1/3.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:24 am

that's not gonna be close to good enough for ccn.

You're very likely better off at bls with $$$ than any school outside the t14 @ sticker

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:15 pm

Nova wrote:that's not gonna be close to good enough for ccn.

You're very likely better off at bls with $$$ than any school outside the t14 @ sticker

I agree. You have 45k/yr at Brooklyn? With top 1/3, you don't stand enough of a chance to transfer up high enough for it to be worth it. You can improve your grades this semester, but it would be hard to improve enough.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:53 pm

UnfrozenCaveman wrote:
Nova wrote:that's not gonna be close to good enough for ccn.

I agree. You have 45k/yr at Brooklyn? With top 1/3, you don't stand enough of a chance to transfer up high enough for it to be worth it. You can improve your grades this semester, but it would be hard to improve enough.

Get all As this semester. Then you'd you have a shot at Cornell or Georgetown. (Cornell doesn't allow OCI to transfers though--I think. Georgetown does)

I make that sound easy--but if you really want it then it's easier than you think. Don't doubt yourself!

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:39 pm

Nebby, no problem, but aren't you a 1L looking to transfer yourself?

michaelbluth

Postby michaelbluth » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:34 pm

WolverineMachine wrote:At the moment, I'd say top 1/3.

You're not top 1/3 at BLS. Median's somewhere between a 3.25 and a 3.3, top 1/3 is about a 3.4. With a 3.3, you're more likely top 40% than top 33%. Even with all As this semester, you likely won't break the top 10%. (Last year top 10% was above a 3.7 for 1Ls, closer to a 3.75.)

Unless you pull a 4.0+ next semester, you likely have zero shot at the T14. You may have a shot at the lower T14 if you seriously kill it next semester, but that would mean sticker at GULC.

That said, if you do kill it next semester, apply to the lower T14, get into one of them, tell the administration and try to negotiate up from $45k to full tuition.

(And you're right; Fordham's probably not worth it.)

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:54 am

UnfrozenCaveman wrote:Nebby, no problem, but aren't you a 1L looking to transfer yourself?

I am transferring. It's just where I end up that's unknown. GULC is my safe school. UPenn, NYU, and HLS are the targets.

Return to “Transfers”