Top 10% at T20, where to apply and chances?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
FrostedMiniWheats

Top 10% at T20, where to apply and chances?

Postby FrostedMiniWheats » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:29 pm

Top 10% at T20, where should I apply? Where do I have a chance at?

Originally from Northeast so I wanna stay on the East Coast if possible.

Also, how bad is transfer stigma for OCI?

PepperJack

Re: Top 10% at T20, where to apply and chances?

Postby PepperJack » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:38 pm

FrostedMiniWheats wrote:Top 10% at T20, where should I apply? Where do I have a chance at?

You'd get into Penn and UVA. Also, apply to NYU. Columbia is a long shot, but possible.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:42 pm

PepperJack wrote:
FrostedMiniWheats wrote:Top 10% at T20, where should I apply? Where do I have a chance at?

You'd get into Penn and UVA. Also, apply to NYU. Columbia is a long shot, but possible.

Doesn't Columbia have a large class size? I would think he had a better than long shot.

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:29 am

BigZuck wrote:
PepperJack wrote:

Doesn't Columbia have a large class size? I would think he had a better than long shot.

Agreed, I'm pretty sure Penn and UVA have a relatively small transfer class size. Top 10% at a top 20 should give a decent chance anywhere.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:54 am

PepperJack wrote:

UVA most likely out unless VA Resident. UVA is weird

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:17 pm

UVA isn't very transfer-friendly. You'll like get dinged from there.

But if you can keep these grades for next semester, apply as high as Harvard and as low as Northwestern and see what sticks.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:24 pm

Since you're anon- what T20 are we talking about? I would think top 10% would have a shot at whatever job you wanted, no? Why would you consider transferring?

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:06 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:27 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Since you're anon- what T20 are we talking about? I would think top 10% would have a shot at whatever job you wanted, no? Why would you consider transferring?

You keep asking this and I can't understand why given the fact that this issue has been addressed numerous times by myself and many others. Transfers receive a boost at OCI relative to if they had stayed at their original school, have a chance to interview with firms they might not have otherwise been able to, and the more prestigious degree may continue to open doors later on down the road.

Interesting. But then other people say there is a transfer stigma. Why are they lying to me?

Intuitively, I think I would rather be top 10% and on law review at Fordham than the stinky transfer kid at Duke if I were gunning for NY big law. But maybe I've just been listening to the liars too much.

"Just do transfer bro!" sounds horrifically oversimplistic to me, especially when you consider, you know, realities such as scholarship amounts, potentially not being able to write on to law review, sometimes not being able to participate in OCI, etc. There's been a wave of kids with really good grades at their current schools coming on here and trying to figure out their chances at any old T14 which seems to me to just be prestige chasing for prestige chasing's sake and could possibly actually hurt them in the long run if they don't have any more context behind what they're trying to accomplish. I mean, I sure as shit wouldn't be willing to pay 100K more to bump my V number down a few notches if I was already pretty much a lock for big law at my current school in the first place

Any way, I'm sure that's all wrong, I defer to your wisdom good brother.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:40 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:10 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Since you're anon- what T20 are we talking about? I would think top 10% would have a shot at whatever job you wanted, no? Why would you consider transferring?

You keep asking this and I can't understand why given the fact that this issue has been addressed numerous times by myself and many others. Transfers receive a boost at OCI relative to if they had stayed at their original school, have a chance to interview with firms they might not have otherwise been able to, and the more prestigious degree may continue to open doors later on down the road.

Interesting. But then other people say there is a transfer stigma. Why are they lying to me?

Intuitively, I think I would rather be top 10% and on law review at Fordham than the stinky transfer kid at Duke if I were gunning for NY big law. But maybe I've just been listening to the liars too much.

"Just do transfer bro!" sounds horrifically oversimplistic to me, especially when you consider, you know, realities such as scholarship amounts, potentially not being able to write on to law review, sometimes not being able to participate in OCI, etc. There's been a wave of kids with really good grades at their current schools coming on here and trying to figure out their chances at any old T14 which seems to me to just be prestige chasing for prestige chasing's sake and could possibly actually hurt them in the long run if they don't have any more context behind what they're trying to accomplish. I mean, I sure as shit wouldn't be willing to pay 100K more to bump my V number down a few notches if I was already pretty much a lock for big law at my current school in the first place

Any way, I'm sure that's all wrong, I defer to your wisdom good brother.

I guess we need to differentiate between the two types of transfer stigma that are so often referred to:
(1) From employers - Certain firms aren't fond of transfers, but they are probably going to be the same firms that wouldn't have hired you from your original school anyway.
(2) From other students - This is very real, but it's something I couldn't care less about. The decision to transfer should be based on employment prospects and the long-term value of the degree, not the opinions of the homegrown students.

If you're gunning for NYC biglaw, transferring from Fordham to Duke is silly. HYS are unimpeachable (stealing Stillwater's diction here), and that Fordham kid should be applying to Columbia and NYU. Maybe Cornell, but that's a bit tougher and will depend on whether or not that student is paying sticker and how willing Fordham is to negotiate scholarship money. This is why I, and many others, frequently ask where the prospective transferee is coming from, what region the he or she is interested in, etc.

Whether you can write onto law review, participate in OCI, etc., are all things that should be figured out and considered before making the decision to transfer. The reason this forum is useful is because this subject is not black and white and the decision to transfer is not an easy one to make. There's a lot to be considered and, though I'm usually pro-transfer, it's a process that needs to be carefully considered.

Doesn't Cornell not allow transfers to participate in OCI?

Anyway, my question of "Why would you consider transferring?" wasn't meant to be rhetorical, but it was poorly written so I can see why it sounded like I was asking someone to chime in on the merits of transferring. What I meant was for this OP to explain what his reasoning is. I'm trying to ascertain the same crap you are- what are his goals? Where is he trying to escape from? He has four posts, some of which are discussing transferring to GULC. I'm sure there can be good reasons to go from Top 10% at a T20 to Georgetown, but climbing up the prestige rung a few notches isn't one of them. And that's all I was trying to figure out.

If the T20 is a school like UCLA and he had a big scholarship, I don't think it would make any sense to transfer to a school like Georgetown and pay a ton more money for a questionable improvement in east coast big law chances (unless he's also a rich kid, then YOLO I guess). But if we are talking going from Minnesota to Columbia? Then yeah, that makes sense.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:53 pm

Some firms aren't fond of transfers, but they tend to be the most grade-selective and school-selective firms. In other words, like was said above, if you can't get in there as a transfer at CLS, you won't come close from a T20 regardless of your grades.

Most firms, however, really like transfers. We're hardworkers, know what is going on, and aren't afraid to make sacrifices for our careers.

I remember the dean of my old law school had a similar misconception about transferring. She assured me when I left that employment was very unlikely through OCI because I would be competing against Columbia students who had grades from Columbia and I only had grades from my 1L school. And that by the time I had Columbia grades, the ship would have already sailed and I would be unemployed. Maybe it is a common misconception.

But it's totally untrue. Myself and all of my fellow transfers at Columbia secured biglaw jobs, and most of us had many offers to choose from.

zman

Postby zman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:25 pm

If you are top 10% at a t20 you shouldn't go anywhere unless it's harvard,yale or stanford. especially if you have a big scholarship.

Return to “Transfers”