Transfer leverage

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer leverage

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:38 pm

I am considering transferring, but I really like my 1L school because it employs well in the region. Going to a higher ranked school might not help me in this region.

I was wondering how much do 1L schools increase scholarships by to keep 1L's from leaving? I am likely in the top 2% at a T50.

brotherdarkness

Re: Transfer leverage

Postby brotherdarkness » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:43 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:37 am

Some schools will give you a lot of $$. Some won't give you any. You can ask around, but it may be hard to find out without giving it a whirl for yourself.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:12 pm

echoing the information above. my bump approached full scholly but school left some room to make a buck.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:31 pm

It comes down to how much your likely big law placement is worth to them relative to taking a transfer student. Financially, it would make sense to give a full ride. You boost their big law #'s (it's not like they're respected enough that someone else will jump in, in front of you because they have to have a 40's-50's school represented). Additionally, if you do get big law then you're statistically likely to make more throughout your career. If you already love them enough to stay then it's likely you'd donate money to them. If you become filthy rich that's much more valuable than some kid paying them 100k to likely end up on government assistance. Of course, this is contingent on them valuing their long term goals over short term money, and if they are a scam-type school they're likely not putting together a 30-year plan because they will be in the Cayman Islands by 2020.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:36 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:43 am

PepperJack wrote:It comes down to how much your likely big law placement is worth to them relative to taking a transfer student. Financially, it would make sense to give a full ride. You boost their big law #'s (it's not like they're respected enough that someone else will jump in, in front of you because they have to have a 40's-50's school represented). Additionally, if you do get big law then you're statistically likely to make more throughout your career. If you already love them enough to stay then it's likely you'd donate money to them. If you become filthy rich that's much more valuable than some kid paying them 100k to likely end up on government assistance. Of course, this is contingent on them valuing their long term goals over short term money, and if they are a scam-type school they're likely not putting together a 30-year plan because they will be in the Cayman Islands by 2020.

I hadn't thought of it like this, but you may be on to something. I always just assumed it bureaucratic differences, funding issues, Dean personality, etc.

Return to “Transfers”