GULC EA question

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

GULC EA question

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:51 pm

Hey guys, just had a few questions/concerns.

1. Can early action candidates get straight rejected?

2. If I get deferred/rejected EA, can I still be considered for RD?

3. Should I even waste time, effort, and money on an application right now since I'm only just inside the Top 30% mark at a T20-30 school? (according to Arrow's post, there may be a sliver of a chance)

4. Do regional ties matter at all? My family and I lived about 20 minutes outside of DC for about 8+ years prior to relocating for law school. Parents and sister are still in the outer DC Area.

Thanks in advance guys,

Me

boxie

Re: GULC EA question

Postby boxie » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:18 pm

1. There are some anecdotes on here of EA applicants being rejected, but Georgetown will defer any applicant who has any possible chance of being admitted. At Top 30% at a T30, you don't need to worry about being rejected.

2. If you are deferred, you are automatically lumped in with the RD applicants, with your application going under review again once your second semester grades are received.

3. If you have good reasons to transfer, then yes. The application fee is tiny in the realm of law school debt, and a transfer application in truth just doesn't take that long. Get two LORs, write a short personal statement, and fill out the 2-page form. You're not trying to make that big of a jump, so you certainly stand a chance in EA, and the chance is certainly worth the effort. It is quite helpful to be able to find a place to live, fully participate in OCI bidding, and compete in the transfer write on leisurely. If you are deferred, you are in no worse position than you would have been had you waited.

4. Not sure that ties to the city itself matter too much. GULC does seem to take a lot of American, Catholic, and GW transfers (like NYU and Columbia seem to give a small preference to NYC-area transfers), but just having lived in the city before probably won't give you a big boost. It will help you during OCI if you are applying to DC though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:32 pm

boxie wrote:1. There are some anecdotes on here of EA applicants being rejected, but Georgetown will defer any applicant who has any possible chance of being admitted. At Top 30% at a T30, you don't need to worry about being rejected.

2. If you are deferred, you are automatically lumped in with the RD applicants, with your application going under review again once your second semester grades are received.

3. If you have good reasons to transfer, then yes. The application fee is tiny in the realm of law school debt, and a transfer application in truth just doesn't take that long. Get two LORs, write a short personal statement, and fill out the 2-page form. You're not trying to make that big of a jump, so you certainly stand a chance in EA, and the chance is certainly worth the effort. It is quite helpful to be able to find a place to live, fully participate in OCI bidding, and compete in the transfer write on leisurely. If you are deferred, you are in no worse position than you would have been had you waited.

4. Not sure that ties to the city itself matter too much. GULC does seem to take a lot of American, Catholic, and GW transfers (like NYU and Columbia seem to give a small preference to NYC-area transfers), but just having lived in the city before probably won't give you a big boost. It will help you during OCI if you are applying to DC though.

OP: Thanks so much for the reply. I guess it'd be smart to send an application in since I have nothing to lose but a small amount of cash.

boxie wrote:At Top 30% at a T30, you don't need to worry about being rejected.

I didn't want to squander my chances by being rejected after EA so to hear that is such a huge relief.

I've heard recently that schools have been accepting less transfers, which seems odd to me in this economy because I would think that they have more of an incentive to take sticker students than scholarship padded 1Ls. Do you know any truth to this? If this is irrelevant to the thread, I can ask it elsewhere.

Thanks again!

boxie

Postby boxie » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard recently that schools have been accepting less transfers, which seems odd to me in this economy because I would think that they have more of an incentive to take sticker students than scholarship padded 1Ls. Do you know any truth to this? If this is irrelevant to the thread, I can ask it elsewhere.
I'm certainly not an expert on admissions statistics, but it doesn't seem as though the transfer-friendly schools have tightened their transfer class sizes. GULC's 2013 transfer class is ~100, which is just about on par with where it has been years past.

You're right - transfers are attractive to schools needing revenue/facing shrinking class sizes. Admissions does have to think its employment statistics, so they won't be scraping the bottom of the barrel any time soon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:56 pm

boxie wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've heard recently that schools have been accepting less transfers, which seems odd to me in this economy because I would think that they have more of an incentive to take sticker students than scholarship padded 1Ls. Do you know any truth to this? If this is irrelevant to the thread, I can ask it elsewhere.
I'm certainly not an expert on admissions statistics, but it doesn't seem as though the transfer-friendly schools have tightened their transfer class sizes. GULC's 2013 transfer class is ~100, which is just about on par with where it has been years past.

You're right - transfers are attractive to schools needing revenue/facing shrinking class sizes. Admissions does have to think its employment statistics, so they won't be scraping the bottom of the barrel any time soon.

sweet! Where did you get the information on the GULC 2013 transfer class size?

boxie

Postby boxie » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:sweet! Where did you get the information on the GULC 2013 transfer class size?
Well the Facebook group has 100 people in it, which is what I was using. Looking at the transfer email list though, I may have been a bit low. The last email to all transfer students was sent to a list of 124 people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:09 pm

boxie wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:sweet! Where did you get the information on the GULC 2013 transfer class size?
Well the Facebook group has 100 people in it, which is what I was using. Looking at the transfer email list though, I may have been a bit low. The last email to all transfer students was sent to a list of 124 people.

Awesome. Thanks so much for the info/responses.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:18 am

They took 85 transfers last year.

ABA posts the numbers. LSAC makes them publicly available. Here's the link:

https://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/ ... spx?sid=54

boxie

Postby boxie » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:50 am

I don't think that form is for the 2013/2014 year. I can't find a date on it, but it lists tuition at $48,835 per year. Tuition for the 2013/2014 year is $50,890. I imagine the form hasn't yet been updated to 2013 yet.

The 124 number probably includes visiting students though. Bottom line, all I was trying to say is it doesn't seem that Georgetown has reduced its transfer class measurably over the past few years, as OP had heard was happening.

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:39 am

I don't know if the amount of people who receive emails or are in the facebook group are a reliable indicator. For one, a lot of people who aren't transfers, such as transfer "mentors" get the emails and are in the fbook group. Also, I'm not sure what the ABA counts with regards to people who transfer in from GULC's part-time program or from another school's part-time program.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:32 pm

UnfrozenCaveman wrote:I don't know if the amount of people who receive emails or are in the facebook group are a reliable indicator.

What he said. There could be 125 people in the facebook group, but 30 of them could be transfer mentors, administrative assistants/CSO rep/etc.

boxie

Postby boxie » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:56 pm

Again, really don't think the exact number matters too much. There are 4 transfer mentors (which I subtracted from that number). Entirely possible that a few others are administrators. My 'assigned' mentee has 29 students (REAL live students, not CSOs/admin people), which, if evenly split, would put the total number (including visiting students and part-time transfers) at 116. This is a rough estimate, so if someone has inside information, feel free to correct me.

The point is that GULC isn't contracting their transfer admissions from past years to 2013.

Ineedapillow

Postby Ineedapillow » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:31 pm

This may sound silly, but at my LSAC page there are four options for Georgetown , which one is EA?
Select Term/Program
Fall 2014 - Early Decision Binding ApplicationStatus: In Progress
Deadline: March 01, 2014 Available: September 10, 2013
Fall 2014 - First Year Non Binding ApplicationStatus: Unavailable
Fall 2014 - Transfer ApplicationStatus: Unavailable
Deadline: June 15, 2014 Available: February 01, 2014
Fall 2014 - Visitor ApplicationStatus: Unavailable

Also, how many recommend letters do you guys normally get?
Thanks~

doctoroflaw91

Postby doctoroflaw91 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:03 pm

Ineedapillow wrote:This may sound silly, but at my LSAC page there are four options for Georgetown , which one is EA?
Select Term/Program
Fall 2014 - Early Decision Binding ApplicationStatus: In Progress
Fall 2014 - First Year Non Binding ApplicationStatus: Unavailable
Fall 2014 - Transfer ApplicationStatus: Unavailable
Fall 2014 - Visitor ApplicationStatus: Unavailable

Also, how many recommend letters do you guys normally get?
Thanks~

Hey there,
If you are applying ED, select the "Transfer Application." Despite the fact that the due date is listed as June 15th, there is an option within the application to be considered for early decision. Good luck! :D

Return to “Transfers”