When to begin apps; negotiating scholly's; other questions

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When to begin apps; negotiating scholly's; other questions

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:33 pm

I finished first semester with around a 3.9 at DCNG. I love my school/friends and would love to stay. However, I came in with a below 25th percentile LSAT and thus have a negligible scholly. I would use a transfer admit to HYS to negotiate a scholly increase at my current school. I am not getting my hopes up because I feel like grades are a crap shoot and therefore am not holding my breath that I repeat my performance this semester.

My questions:
-For HYS, when should I begin preparing apps?
-What is a realistic goal to have in terms of the amount I can negotiate for at my current school?
-Also, do people normally stay fairly consistent grade wise? I plan on doing the same things plus making some minor tweaks. I am by far not the smartest person, but was simply better at taking exams/only paying attention to why would be useful on the exam.

Re: When to begin apps; negotiating scholly's; other questions

Postby Nebby » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:12 pm

For any transfer, have your resume, personal statement, undergrad transcripts submitted to LSAC, etc. done before May. Just do that stuff now.

So when it comes time to apply you only have to do the online LSAC app, which is quick, and then have your current school send in your official transcripts to HLS and the other paperwork.

Make your life easier and do the things that you can do now.

In regard to the second question, I have no idea. Though you won't get an acceptance until late June at the latest, so you have little time to actually negotiate.

In regard to the third question, don't be an idiot. Continue doing what you did, improve with your tweaks, and most of all don't stress. If you find the latter happening, then start jogging. I pulled a 4.0, and there's no way I would have done that w/o jogging 4 miles a day to ease the anxiety.

Return to “Transfers”