Want to Transfer - How to Handle Current School?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Want to Transfer - How to Handle Current School?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:25 pm

I'm an out-of-state student at a T40 paying sticker. The school doesn't rank until later, but after the first semester I finished with a 3.7 and no B-range grades. This should be good for top 10% or better, assuming this year's curve isn't higher than what it has been in the past.

Here's my dilemma: I like the school, but I'm going here because I had a terrible GPA in undergrad and it was the best I could do. I have very little desire to practice in the region where this school is located and almost no desire to practice in state. Ideally, I'd like to work in biglaw but I have a feeling that it's going to be tough to get there from here.

(1) Will putting in some transfer apps right now cause problems with the administration / harm my second semester grades? I know grading is supposed to be anonymous, but frankly, it seems like a black box to me. I don't want to be overly paranoid, but I want to be able to make moot court / law review should I fail to transfer and I don't want to cause any hard feelings with anyone who would have the ability to affect me academically. I'm from out-of-state paying sticker, so there's definitely a large financial incentive to keep me around.

(2) I did very well in a particular professor's class and brought up the subject of transferring, and she seemed to dissuade me from it. I would like to get a recommendation but I'm worried that there's a conflict of interest. Is there a way to make sure I get a decent recommendation rather than something lukewarm / something intended to keep me around?

(3) Any input on my chances at GULC / Chicago / WUSTL? I'm worried that my grades might drop, so I'd prefer to have a little insurance if I could. I've gotten off to a slow start this second semester and have basically been gunning for a SA the past couple of weeks, so I've barely done the reading.

Any advice on how to transfer from my current school while pissing off the fewest number of people possible? It seems like a giant minefield.

Lawst

Re: Want to Transfer - How to Handle Current School?

Postby Lawst » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:37 pm

I transferred. The professor whom I asked for a LOR was pretty understanding. If you think that professor you talked to would give you a lukewarm letter, feel out another professor.

The dean who had to give me the letter of good standing tried to talk me out of it, telling me that I was making a mistake. I did like my classmates, and it was not an easy choice, but in the end just do what's best for you. My grades did drop second semester, but not terribly, and I'm sure it had nothing to do with transferring.

You are right to try EA to have something in your back pocket in case your grades do drop. I think Chicago's early transfer decision is binding, though, so I'd be wary of that unless it's your first choice.

In the end, as long as you're low key about it, most people won't be pissed off. Don't worry about it affecting your grades or any possibility of sabotage, just do the best you can. It's not uncommon to transfer, and it's not uncommon for people with a financial interest in an institution to try to talk you out of leaving. Then again, consider the schools your professors went to - that's why most will understand your desire to give it a shot to get into a better school. Good luck!

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:32 pm

Begin getting your materials ready. Contact your undergrad and have your official transcript mailed to LSAC. Email the LSAC and have your current school added to your CRS profile. Once that's done, go to your registrar with your LSAC transcript request form and have them both sent. In the next three weeks, make meetings with every professor you have and ask nicely for letters of recommendation. You will need one for GULC, two for pretty much everything else.

Just transfer. You have no reason to stay at that school.

With your numbers you'll be accepted into WUSTL and GULC. You have a shot at the top-5. If you finish this semester with a 4.0, you also have a shot at HLS. Just do it--your future self in 30 years will thank you. (Honestly--I wouldn't even apply to WUSTL, your stats are decent enough to make GULC a safety, but you never know.) Send apps to UVA, NYU, and CLU if you can keep that 3.7 (or hopefully you can raise it) and you should be good to go.

UChicago early transfer is binding. GULC is not. Apply to the latter for sure, if you hurry you can have everything done a week or two before the March 15 early action deadline.

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:55 pm

When asking for letters, back off from professors who seem unenthusiastic. Like seriously don't keep trying even if that was your best grade. Getting a great, positive letter from a professor who is genuinely invested in your future is the way to go.

Jchance

Postby Jchance » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm an out-of-state student at a T40 paying sticker. The school doesn't rank until later, but after the first semester I finished with a 3.7 and no B-range grades. This should be good for top 10% or better, assuming this year's curve isn't higher than what it has been in the past.

Here's my dilemma: I like the school, but I'm going here because I had a terrible GPA in undergrad and it was the best I could do. I have very little desire to practice in the region where this school is located and almost no desire to practice in state. Ideally, I'd like to work in biglaw but I have a feeling that it's going to be tough to get there from here.

(1) Will putting in some transfer apps right now cause problems with the administration / harm my second semester grades? I know grading is supposed to be anonymous, but frankly, it seems like a black box to me. I don't want to be overly paranoid, but I want to be able to make moot court / law review should I fail to transfer and I don't want to cause any hard feelings with anyone who would have the ability to affect me academically. I'm from out-of-state paying sticker, so there's definitely a large financial incentive to keep me around.

(2) I did very well in a particular professor's class and brought up the subject of transferring, and she seemed to dissuade me from it. I would like to get a recommendation but I'm worried that there's a conflict of interest. Is there a way to make sure I get a decent recommendation rather than something lukewarm / something intended to keep me around?

(3) Any input on my chances at GULC / Chicago / WUSTL? I'm worried that my grades might drop, so I'd prefer to have a little insurance if I could. I've gotten off to a slow start this second semester and have basically been gunning for a SA the past couple of weeks, so I've barely done the reading.

Any advice on how to transfer from my current school while pissing off the fewest number of people possible? It seems like a giant minefield.

Unless you are in a year-long class, then getting recs from old classes' profs will NOT hurt ur future grades in other classes.

If you are paying sticker, might as well apply to transfer for either really transferring or asking for scholarship, whats the harm here?

transfer57

Postby transfer57 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:00 am

GULC takes a lot of transfers every year. Send an application. Worst case scenario - you get deferred until your spring grades come in. Just know that if you get into GULC early action, you're going to be in the hole $1600 in deposits before your spring grades are even released (meaning you might be able to transfer higher, and have to eat those costs)

I'm sure asking a professor for a LOR is business as usual at your school. Every year, schools in the 30+ rankings have tons of people transfer out. Just explain to him/her why you might want to transfer; reading your post it seems like you have legitimate reasons (want to be in a different geographic location). Unless the professor is a nut-job, it shouldn't be a problem and they'll do what they can to write a good recommendation.

doctoroflaw91

Postby doctoroflaw91 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:32 pm

I just completed several ED applications for the fall. My experience was excellent. I think that, for the most part, professors and academic administrators understand that law school is a pathway into the market, and therefore, it is in the best interest of the students to be...marketable.

I agree with other posters here: Approach a professor that knows you better than others. Even if you were not particularly close with your professors during the fall, most will understand that 1Ls will need letters of recommendation despite the fact that they have yet to do a decent amount of networking. When you approach them, have some basic materials ready (transcript, resume, etc.).

Feel free to PM me if you would like any additional information about my experience. Good luck!

Return to “Transfers”