Delete

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
iheartmonkey

Delete

Postby iheartmonkey » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:17 pm

Last edited by iheartmonkey on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

BigZuck

Re: Top 15% at lower T1, where should I transfer?

Postby BigZuck » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:22 pm

iheartmonkey wrote:I'm a black student at a school in the 50s. I'm ranked somewhere around Top 15% and I'm on a full scholarship. In your opinion, what is the lowest ranked school I should consider transferring to? Will the fact that I was on the waitlist at some T14 programs increase my odds of admission when I apply as a transfer?

It might be worth noting that I want to teach law at some point in my career and wish to practice in DC. Thanks!

Probably Georgetown. What school are you at now? That will probably dictate whether you should jump ship or not.

Your career goals are also amorphous, what kind of job are you looking for?

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:37 pm

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:46 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iheartmonkey

Postby iheartmonkey » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:00 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Probably Georgetown. What school are you at now? That will probably dictate whether you should jump ship or not.

Your career goals are also amorphous, what kind of job are you looking for?

Cardozo.

My goals are amorphous because I have a broad array of interests. I came into law school with the desire to practice BigLaw. I have an insurance background so I though my skills were best suited for employment benefits law. I am now interested in clerking upon graduation and then spending a few years in corporate litigation.

iheartmonkey

Postby iheartmonkey » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:00 pm

sublime wrote:And keep in mind that depending on the COL of where you are now, transferring could cost an extra 120-140k with tuition, COL increase, and interest.

COL where I am now is very high.

iheartmonkey

Postby iheartmonkey » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:02 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:If you want to teach, you should be at YHS. However, that would require more than top 15% grades. The lowest-ranked school you should consider is GULC (apply EA as a safety). However, you should be considering your ties and where you want to practice post-graduation. Without that information, it's hard to make blanket statements.

I'm hoping to do better this semester but who knows.

I have ties to DC, SoCal, and Boston. I want to practice in DC but I'm wouldn't be terrible opposed to other locals.

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:38 pm

If you really want to transfer up, just go for t14. NYU and CLS would be great because the transition would be so much easier. GULC would be great if you want to end up in DC. But being a minority candidate at Cardozo with a full ride might not be the worst decision. Other DC schools wouldn't be worth it.

Also, I think there are some significant changes in class rank from 1st semester to 2nd, so get those grades up. You can jump at least into top 10%.

Return to “Transfers”