How should I indicate percentile on transfer app?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How should I indicate percentile on transfer app?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:00 am

I'm applying EA to USC/GULC/GW. I go to a T60. My school doesn't publish official rank until the end of the year, but instead gives us vague percentile cutoffs. The Top 10% cutoff is 3.8, and the Top 3% cutoff is 4.0.

My GPA is 3.96. Our career development office told me that Top 5% was a conservative estimate for my rank, and I was more likely Top 3.5 to 4%.

There are 2 places where I need to indicate rank on my transfer application -- 1. On the application itself 2. On my transfer resume

In both places should I just list the Top 10% and Top 3% cuttoffs, and allow them to infer my rank from there? Or should I put "Top 5% (approximate)" on my resume and then the Top 10% and Top 3% cutoffs on the application itself? Or some other variation?

I appreciate any input, sorry this is such a lengthy prompt.

UnfrozenCaveman

Re: How should I indicate percentile on transfer app?

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:54 am

List both on resume. Choose the most honest options on the application.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:18 am

I think you need to use top 10 and top 3 without any estimates about top 5. If the school hasn't officially issued anything else, you can't put it down.

But I'd imagine law schools are used to evaluating transfer applicants based on this kind of information (your situation is common), and your GPA looks pretty excellent all on its own, so I wouldn't worry that your rank won't be clear.

Heming123

Postby Heming123 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:00 pm

Thanks for the advice! I won't approximate.

Quick follow-up: Should I list both the Top 10% cutoff and Top 3% cutoff, or just put the Top 10% cutoff and allow them to infer from there?

Heming123

Postby Heming123 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:03 pm

Bump

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:30 pm

I said earlier to put both on the resume.

BVest

Postby BVest » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:15 pm

The lack of answers from more people is generally indicative that the answers received are TCR.

rambleon65

Postby rambleon65 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:41 pm

You should just give them your GPA and in parentheses put the cut-off for the top 3%.

It really will not matter that much, though.

Return to “Transfers”