15% at GW, chances for GULC EA?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

15% at GW, chances for GULC EA?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:20 pm

GW doesn't give specific rank. The top 15% are "George Washington Scholar."
Reason for transfer? Cannot do hard IP and don't want to do soft IP.

UnfrozenCaveman

Re: 15% at GW, chances for GULC EA?

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:48 pm

I think you'd most likely be in.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:37 pm

UnfrozenCaveman wrote:I think you'd most likely be in.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:44 pm

1. Are you dead set on staying in D.C.?
2. What is your scholarship at GW?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:51 pm

OP here. Thanks for the reply!
GW (only) gave me 15k/y. I also feel that NYC is a better market for me. But I dare not think about CLS and NYU for now. Any idea as to transfer into that two from GW? Thanks so much!

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:53 pm

i don't think GW to GULC is worth $30k, bro. you should try to figure out your class rank more precisely, though. there's a stickied thread somewhere with a calculator.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:53 am

Regrettably I was told there's no way to find out about the specific ranking until graduation. Based on previous year's number, I may be around 10%.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:14 am

Designations are out? I think u should shoot for UVA or a better school. You are going to have relatively the sake job prospects at GW than GULC in DC at your rank.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:16 am

Designation is not out yet and I know that the cutoff varies every year. My estimate is based on numbers from 2Ls and 3Ls, my idea of "varying slightly," and this estimator: http://mylsn.info/rank-estimator/.
I guess I'm just a little frustrated by the 1L summer job search and people talking about the how advantageous doing IP is.
Anyway, I will work even harder in the spring and participate in GW events (especially the write-on) as if I'm not leaving at all.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Designation is not out yet and I know that the cutoff varies every year. My estimate is based on numbers from 2Ls and 3Ls, my idea of "varying slightly," and this estimator: http://mylsn.info/rank-estimator/.
I guess I'm just a little frustrated by the 1L summer job search and people talking about the how advantageous doing IP is.
Anyway, I will work even harder in the spring and participate in GW events (especially the write-on) as if I'm not leaving at all.

You should ED to Chicago. There are a lot of people that do work beyond IP at GW. Government Contracts is huge here. So is securities and financial regulation.

PM me if have further questions.

Jchance

Postby Jchance » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for the reply!
GW (only) gave me 15k/y. I also feel that NYC is a better market for me. But I dare not think about CLS and NYU for now. Any idea as to transfer into that two from GW? Thanks so much!

Dont look down at urself, aim high, OP. It doesnt hurt to apply, apps to 2 schools cost like $150, but if you get in, it'd be all worth it.

FSK

Postby FSK » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:49 pm

Last edited by FSK on Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:12 am

Take a hard look at GULC's placement numbers and read a lot about the OCI process at both schools before you make this jump. GULC's BigLaw placement is not that much better than GW's as a whole, and you'd be giving up any realistic shot at law review (unless you manage to be one of the few transfers that writes on).

GW scholar + Law Review is capable of getting you an interview at pretty much any firm out there that hires summer associates.

Also, basing your decision to transfer on the 1L job search is ludicrous. It's not easy to get a paid gig out of any school for the 1L summer unless you're a minority, live in Texas, or have other truly valuable skills (hard science IP is one of these such skills).

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:16 am

KidStuddi wrote:Take a hard look at GULC's placement numbers and read a lot about the OCI process at both schools before you make this jump. GULC's BigLaw placement is not that much better than GW's as a whole, and you'd be giving up any realistic shot at law review (unless you manage to be one of the few transfers that writes on).

GW scholar + Law Review is capable of getting you an interview at pretty much any firm out there that hires summer associates.

Also, basing your decision to transfer on the 1L job search is ludicrous. It's not easy to get a paid gig out of any school for the 1L summer unless you're a minority, live in Texas, or have other truly valuable skills (hard science IP is one of these such skills).

I don't know how accurate this is. ATL's rankings put GULC BigLaw placement at 39% and GW's at 27%. 12% is a big difference.

While Law Review is a long shot, you'd at least get a secondary journal. I agree that GW to GULC may not be worth the jump depending on career choices, but it's worth considering.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:40 pm

Quick update from OP: went to see my civ pro professor and mentioned transferring to GULC. His response: "Are you crazy?!"
:D :D :D :D :D

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Quick update from OP: went to see my civ pro professor and mentioned transferring to GULC. His response: "Are you crazy?!"

Have you asked anyone for a letter yet, OP?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:11 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Quick update from OP: went to see my civ pro professor and mentioned transferring to GULC. His response: "Are you crazy?!"

Have you asked anyone for a letter yet, OP?

Yeah he agreed to write me a letter...

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:46 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Designations are out? I think u should shoot for UVA or a better school. You are going to have relatively the sake job prospects at GW than GULC in DC at your rank.

I agree with this. If you are a Virginia resident, I think you're in the running, though by no means a lock, at that class rank.

You have another semester to improve your rank. You should do that, and apply to other schools, NYU in particular.

I was in a similar place not too long ago. Feel free to PM with specific questions.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:44 am

Jchance wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for the reply!

Dont look down at urself, aim high, OP. It doesnt hurt to apply, apps to 2 schools cost like $150, but if you get in, it'd be all worth it.

^

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:53 pm

Top 15% is likely out at CLS. It is a reach, but still in the running at NYU. A couple of years ago from a school in the high 20s, the soft cut-off for CLS was top 5% with an occasional outlier at top 10%. For NYU, the soft cut-off more like top 10%, with a few outliers at top 15%.

See the stats here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Aik9aY0xMn8JdGxuajNMS3hIb3U2Y2d4enlKOXFINHc&output=html

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:45 am

Its good to remember that GW may award you an increased scholarship for your second year. Im not sure if GW does this specifically, but many schools do

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:32 am

UnfrozenCaveman wrote:
KidStuddi wrote:Take a hard look at GULC's placement numbers and read a lot about the OCI process at both schools before you make this jump. GULC's BigLaw placement is not that much better than GW's as a whole, and you'd be giving up any realistic shot at law review (unless you manage to be one of the few transfers that writes on).

I don't know how accurate this is. ATL's rankings put GULC BigLaw placement at 39% and GW's at 27%. 12% is a big difference.

While Law Review is a long shot, you'd at least get a secondary journal. I agree that GW to GULC may not be worth the jump depending on career choices, but it's worth considering.

While your stats are accurate...you are not accounting for OP having to explain why he transferred in every big law interview. For DC it would be better to stay where you are.

Try to jump above GULC.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:33 pm

I see zero reason to leave GW for GULC given your success so far. If you're going to leave, shoot higher than freaking GULC, man. That seems like such a waste of money to transfer there from GW.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:34 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
UnfrozenCaveman wrote:

While your stats are accurate...you are not accounting for OP having to explain why he transferred in every big law interview. For DC it would be better to stay where you are.

Try to jump above GULC.

Agreed completely with this.

Return to “Transfers”