Top 5% from CCN ---> HLS or YLS

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 5% from CCN ---> HLS or YLS

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:50 pm

4.0 from CCN, considering attempting to transfer to HLS or YLS. Obviously a bit premature before I get second semester grades, but is it worth it?

I want to work in DC after graduation, and my understanding is that DC biglaw is easiest to get from HLS and YLS. I also want to clerk, and am strongly considering a career in academia as well.

My initial thought is that HLS and YLS would be better for everything. However, I question whether and to what extent I'd actually be hurting myself by transferring--would lose my relationships with professors, lose law review, etc., and I think it might be better to be where I am at CCN rather than being less prominent academically at HLS or YLS. I'm not unhappy at CCN--really like it here--just considering whether it makes more sense from a business perspective to try and move up.

Re: Top 5% from CCN ---> HLS or YLS

Postby Nelson » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:59 pm

This transfer is dumb. If your grades stay that high, DC and clerking will both be pretty likely so long as you interview reasonably well. Transferring gives up your relationships with professors and law review, which are more important than anything else for feeder judges and academia at this point. Plus, if you stay at the top of your class, expect to get extra attention from the faculty at your current school if you express an interest in clerking (because schools want clerking stats even more than they want job stats).

Postby stillwater » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:59 pm

I would stay. Why become just another one in the herd when you are clearly distinguishing yourself at a school that is pretty great.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:16 pm

I could see transferring for more money via need based aid but even that may not be worth it.

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:18 pm

Not worth transferring. You'd need a pretty good story to explain it.

Return to “Transfers”