Would it be crazy for me to not transfer?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Transfer from the Tier 4?

Yes, transfer the fuck out of a Tier 4
81%
No, your prospects look good, so stay
13%
IDGAF bout your problem nyukka
6%

Total votes: 16

Anonymous User

Would it be crazy for me to not transfer?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:05 pm

I go to a no-name tier 4. I really enjoy the place - professors are real approachable, students are generally helpful (and not crazy competitive). However, only 57% of those that graduate land a real j.d required job.

My position: I took 5 classes this past semester, 2 of which I "booked", 2 I received an A, and 1 I received a B+.

I have received offers from my professors to become TA/Research assistant from 3 classes. I will most likely grade onto Law Review, and i will be paying about ~$13,000 per year here. The school has strong regional ties as well (most judges and lawyers in my my tri-county area are from my school, or the school down the road). I would like to live here in the future, however, I do not know what the future holds - e.g., if I get married and my partner wants to live somewhere else, how difficult will it be for me to get a job somewhere else... these are the types of things making me consider transferring.

So, what do you guys think? I know there is not a clear cut answer, but any advice or unbiased opinion would be helpful for me.

Thanks

Nova

Re: Would it be crazy for me to not transfer?

Postby Nova » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:08 pm

depends where you get accepted as a transfer

estimated class rank?

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:09 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:12 pm

I am in the top 3% right now... Not sure where I would like to transfer... maybe another school in my area (Southeast)

Dream job: international criminal defense at the hague

Very-hard to reach job: federal public defender

Likely career: private criminal defense, personal injury

Right out of law school: maybe public defender, or a private crim defense firm

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:59 pm

If your likely career is criminal defense/personal injury, then the question might be, "Is it worth the extra cash to get a chance to be a federal public defender?"

eastcoast_iub

Postby eastcoast_iub » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:12 pm

How low in the T4 are you?

If you stay top 5%, I think you can land a T14. Even if you want to be a federal defender, this is worth it, esp. considering the generous LRAPs at most T14s which will take the edge off of the extra cost.

I would GTFO.

Return to “Transfers”