Transfer from Michigan? Improve scholy?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer from Michigan? Improve scholy?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:14 am

I'm from Michigan, went to undergrad in Michigan and bought a home in A2. It isn't very likely that I'm leaving. But, I do have a 4.0 in my first semester and after getting in off the waitlist, I don't have much of a scholarship. If I keep up the grades, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get into HYS as a transfer. Though, I'm not sure whether I want to pay sticker or if it is even worth leaving Michigan. I think maybe my best bet is leverage for a better scholarship at UM? Does anyone know what kind of increases are typical?

I was about to go to a top 30 school until EVERYONE jumped down my throat, told me to take the year off, improve my LSAT score and get a job, and go to a T14 school. Now, I'm doing well at Michigan so it was obviously great advice. So, I'm back for more. What do you guys think?

sportaddict144

Re: Transfer from Michigan? Improve scholy?

Postby sportaddict144 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:04 pm

I think you should stick around and go for a scholarship increase.

eastcoast_iub

Postby eastcoast_iub » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:15 pm

M transfer here, with your grades you should have similar opportunities as someone at HYS would. I would try to negotiate a scholly, but apply just to have some acceptances in your back pocket as bargaining leverage. Not sure how willing they are to negotiate though.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:25 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:55 pm

Sounds like a lot of work to go from cream of the crop, to cream of the crop with a little extra. I'd rather have the clean record than transfer in those circumstances. The extra life stuff, selling a house, moving, etc can be messy, and I don't know how significant a transfer would help.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:49 pm

If you don't have a scholarship, I would absolutely apply to HYS.

Exactly. You never know what kind of need-based aid you might be eligible for. There is little chance that Dean Z wants to lose her top students (over money).

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:15 pm

If you want to stay at Michigan or in the midwest more generally you shouldn't even be considering a transfer. Even if you are open to other places you probably shouldn't transfer. It will do absolutely nothing for you other than make things inconvenient. In addition to whatever you have in scholarship, UM has lower COA (especially elevated with in-state plus owning a home) and ownership of a home can be pretty rough in the need-based aid calculation. Need-based aid isn't as good as people think it is to begin with but factor in that you have a major asset plus your aid will be reduced when/if you do a Biglaw SA and you are unlikely to come out ahead.

The only possible way HYS can help you is if you are dead set on a supreme court clerkship and even then being a transfer puts you at a major disadvantage.

Also, all of HYS has their Finaid formula posted somewhere and its pretty easy to get a ballpark idea of what your aid is as long as you don't have complex circumstances.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:54 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:If you don't have a scholarship, I would absolutely apply to HYS. If you're at the top of your class at Michigan, you're as close to a "lock" at H as anyone can be, and you have a good shot at Y and S. Then use the acceptance(s) to bargain for a scholarship increase. The fact that you own a home makes things a little more complex because, though if Michigan refuses to increase your scholarship I'd normally urge you to GTFO for HYS, that might not be the most appropriate advice given your circumstances.

The top schools aren't going to bargain for scholarship.

OP transferring doesn't really get you much unless you get a massive aid package from Harvard (or I guess S/Y). Transferring from Mich might mean you lose law review (a very bad thing) and it will probably have some negative effect on midwestern firms at OCI if that's a goal of yours.

Big Dog wrote: There is little chance that Dean Z wants to lose her top students (over money).

LOL at an adcomm knowing or giving a crap about what happens to a student once they're enrolled.

Return to “Transfers”