T60 --> T6?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T60 --> T6?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:13 pm

Hey so at a top 60 school. Got a 4.1 GPA (A, A, A, A+), which placed me within at least the top 3%. Have anecdotal evidence that someone from my school has transferred into MVP and I'm curious if with similar grades it is possible to get into CCN at the very least (I know HYS would likely be a huge stretch). Obviously need to do better this semester before I worry about transferring but just seeing if it is a possibility to jump that high.

If it matters, K-JD, non-URM.

stillwater

Re: T60 --> T6?

Postby stillwater » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey so at a top 60 school. Got a 4.1 GPA (A, A, A, A+), which placed me within at least the top 3%. Have anecdotal evidence that someone from my school has transferred into MVP and I'm curious if with similar grades it is possible to get into CCN at the very least (I know HYS would likely be a huge stretch). Obviously need to do better this semester before I worry about transferring but just seeing if it is a possibility to jump that high.

depends on what T60.

indo

Postby indo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey so at a top 60 school. Got a 4.1 GPA (A, A, A, A+), which placed me within at least the top 3%. Have anecdotal evidence that someone from my school has transferred into MVP and I'm curious if with similar grades it is possible to get into CCN at the very least (I know HYS would likely be a huge stretch). Obviously need to do better this semester before I worry about transferring but just seeing if it is a possibility to jump that high.

Congratulation for great GPA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:27 pm

stillwater wrote:

depends on what T60.

OP again.
So even with that 'low' of a ranking and a good GPA, the school would matter enough for CCN?

indo

Postby indo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
stillwater wrote:

depends on what T60.

OP again.
So even with that 'low' of a ranking and a good GPA, the school would matter enough for CCN?

please ask your question to Spivey and Karen .

here is the links to post your question

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=197451

Good luck

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
stillwater wrote:

depends on what T60.

OP again.

only reason I ask is that schools in the local markets of CCN seem to have a leg up because theres that demonstrated market affinity. So youll see Chi reaching for local Chicago T2s and im sure Columbia/NYU being more generous with the NY area T2s. so that certainly is a boost. I find that transfer admissions also seem omre concerned with work experience, because they are looking for the transfer applicant to boost their employment stats and employers seem to at least value that once you get over the grade threshold.

HOWEVER, and positively for you, you have a kickass GPA. so you keep this up, i bet youll have a great shot at NYU which has a good size transfer class, is transfer friendly, and seems to be a little less snobby about the transfer's prior school. Columbia is also in play but Chicago is always tough because of its small class and how its ED admissions works.

sap

Postby sap » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:20 am

If you're in the T2, "low" ranking of a school shouldn't inhibit you at all. I'm at B, and we have transfers here from Golden Gate. If you keep up with that high-level performance, you should apply everywhere. Harvard actually has fairly big transfer class sizes and might not be that much of a stretch, especially with a >4.0 gpa.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:17 pm

You have a chance at CCN (moreso NYU/CLS than Chicago unless you're at a Chicago school). You have a better chance at Michigan, Penn, and Northwestern (and Berkeley if you're from CA, or Virginia if you're from VA). You're probably a shoe-in at GULC, but really the only good use for applying to GULC is trying to squeeze $$$ out of your current school.

ThreeSixTwo

Postby ThreeSixTwo » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:32 pm

This is absolutely possible, and still is even if you slip a tisch next semester. You have a very good chance at Columbia and NYU, as well as Penn, and Berkeley (Chicago perhaps if you do EA). HYS will probably be very tough unless you are 1,2, or maybe 3 in your class, but still worth throwing your hat in the ring - IMO - because you never know. On a side note, OP I may know the person that you're talking about, so PM me if you wish to discuss.

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:20 pm

Keep it up and apply to entire t14. probably a chance at t6, but you never know. Some say to go ahead and do it, but I wouldn't ED to Chicago since its binding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:01 pm

OP again. The only reason I'm not necessarily looking at all of the t14 is because I have a near full-ride to my current school, so I would want to transfer to a school either with good placement in CA or one of the t6. I would likely be able to get big-law and possibly a decent fed clerkship through my current school if I remained at the same ranking, so wanted a substantial upgrade if I'm going to be taking out a ton of loans.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP again. The only reason I'm not necessarily looking at all of the t14 is because I have a near full-ride to my current school, so I would want to transfer to a school either with good placement in CA or one of the t6. I would likely be able to get big-law and possibly a decent fed clerkship through my current school if I remained at the same ranking, so wanted a substantial upgrade if I'm going to be taking out a ton of loans.

Are you already in your target market? If so, spend the semester seriously networking with and targeting firms in your current schools market, and then just see where your grades are at after the semester. If you're happy where you're at, just focus on getting BigLaw from there instead of worrying about transferring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:57 pm

keg411 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP again. The only reason I'm not necessarily looking at all of the t14 is because I have a near full-ride to my current school, so I would want to transfer to a school either with good placement in CA or one of the t6. I would likely be able to get big-law and possibly a decent fed clerkship through my current school if I remained at the same ranking, so wanted a substantial upgrade if I'm going to be taking out a ton of loans.

Are you already in your target market? If so, spend the semester seriously networking with and targeting firms in your current schools market, and then just see where your grades are at after the semester. If you're happy where you're at, just focus on getting BigLaw from there instead of worrying about transferring.

Possible to get biglaw, but very few people get it (usually around 5% of the class get true biglaw/v100) and just slightly afraid of those odds even though I am within at least the top 3% right now.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
keg411 wrote:

Possible to get biglaw, but very few people get it (usually around 5% of the class get true biglaw/v100) and just slightly afraid of those odds even though I am within at least the top 3% right now.

If you're afraid of the odds, expand your applications to Michigan/Penn/Northwestern (besides just CCN and Berkeley). Applying more broadly won't hurt, and if you decide later it's not worth it to take out the loans, and you'd rather be at your current school, then stay. And like I said, trying to meet people from firms you're interested in now couldn't hurt... just in case you do end up staying.

Return to “Transfers”