Transfer From Charleston School of Law

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gtfoose550

Transfer From Charleston School of Law

Postby gtfoose550 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:31 am

TLS,

I have just received my first semester grades (3.066) and want your advice on transfer options. I originally turned down admissions offers at three T2 schools in favor of attending Charleston with a rather large scholarship, but the Charleston School of Law has been sold to InfiLaw, and I would like to abandon a sinking ship.

I don't know my class rank (estimate top 25-30%), but have requested it and will update as soon as I receive it.

Considering my ultimate goal of practice somewhere in the Southeast, what are your thoughts on the following options?
  • University of Georgia,
  • University of South Carolina,
  • University of North Carolina,
  • University of Tennessee

Should I be aiming higher? Lower? Elsewhere?
Last edited by gtfoose550 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Re: Transfer From Charleston School of Law

Postby Nova » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:32 am

need to at least know estimated rank

gtfoose550

Postby gtfoose550 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:43 am

From what I can gather, I appear to be in the top 25-30 % range.

I'll post an actual when I receive it.

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:07 pm

I don't mean to be a downer, but the conventional wisdom is that it is going to be hard to transfer above lower T2 with those stats at that school.

gtfoose550

Postby gtfoose550 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:58 pm

No worries and unfortunately I pretty much knew that. USC is pretty low Tier 2 (98th this year), while Tennessee is Tier 2 (61st). Georgia and UNC are both Tier 1 (33 and 31, respectively). Are Georgia and UNC totally out or is it worth sending an app? What do you think of the others (Tennessee and South Carolina)?

sap

Postby sap » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:00 pm

It's always worth sending an app. However, with those grades, it's probably best to put applications out-of-mind during this semester and really crack down on trying to get your GPA up. It's not impossible to pull your GPA up several points, and that would do more for increasing your transfer prospects than strategizing about where to send applications at this point in the cycle.

Mredav44

Postby Mredav44 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:08 pm

I would suggest applying to (In Florida): FIU, Stetson, Nova; or, Mississippi College of Law - not sure their transfer stats, but coming from Charleston will be a burden

resilience99

Postby resilience99 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:44 pm

with the drop in class sizes at most tier 2 schools, you have a good chance at most of them because they need to fill the seats..If you improve your gpa a bit, I would even apply to tier 1 schools

Return to “Transfers”