Transfer question

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer question

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:48 am

Hello,
Perhaps this is a silly question, but I figure that this is the best place to ask. I am planning on applying to transfer early action to both GULC and GW (currently in the top 5% at a T1 school). Are the applications done through the LSAC website, just as the 1L applications were?

It appears that GW has transfer applications listed, but the only GULC applications that I see appear to be for prospective 1Ls (One says "Fall 2014 Binding Early Decision" and the other says "Fall 2014 First Year Non Binding").

I presume that, because they were both made available on September 1, 2013, that both of these applications apply only to incoming 1Ls, and not to transfer students. Can anyone offer any advice?

Danger Zone

Re: Transfer question

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:35 pm

Through LSAC, and it's way too early for transfer apps to be up yet. Look for them around mid-April to early May.

echooo23

Postby echooo23 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:00 am

If it's for GULC EA, look around 2/1 or 2/15. Last year the deadline was 3/15 and application didn't open until Feb.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:41 am

echooo23 wrote:If it's for GULC EA, look around 2/1 or 2/15. Last year the deadline was 3/15 and application didn't open until Feb.

Sorry, I should have specified: This IS for the early action deadline. It's odd because their paper application is already available, but not the electronic application.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:29 pm

With those grades, I'd be tempted to not ED and hold out for the regular transfer cycle. I got into CLS with similar grades. And you'll have a much easier time getting biglaw SA offers at CLS than you will at GULC/GW.

It's worth thinking about.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:36 pm

shock259 wrote:With those grades, I'd be tempted to not ED and hold out for the regular transfer cycle. I got into CLS with similar grades. And you'll have a much easier time getting biglaw SA offers at CLS than you will at GULC/GW.

It's worth thinking about.

Definitely have thought about it; thanks for the input.

I actually want to work in family law, in DC. My reasons for staying in DC are twofold: This is the market in which I want to work, and my family is here. We've had several deaths in the family in the past year, in addition to aging grandparents, etc. Perhaps that reasoning is not some that should preclude my application to other schools, but given the circumstances, I feel that a better school in the area is the best option for me.

Definitely appreciate your thoughts though! :)

boxie

Postby boxie » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:37 pm

February 3rd: Begin accepting applications for Fall 2014 admission
for Georgetown Law via http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admissions-financial-aid/jd-admissions/transfer-student/application-deadlines/index.cfm

Check back on the 3rd. If you can't find it, call GULC

Return to “Transfers”