Do transfers get scholarship $$$???

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Do transfer students get scholarship money?

Yes
5%
No
95%

Total votes: 20

Anonymous User

Do transfers get scholarship $$$???

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:08 am

If I'm transferring from a TTTT being top3% , is it at all likely that I could get scholarship money from a Tier 1 school I transfer into??

Thanks

arklaw13

Re: Do transfers get scholarship $$$???

Postby arklaw13 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:10 am

As far as I know, it is the norm that transfer students don't get any merit aid.

sap

Postby sap » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:05 pm

Conventional wisdom is that merit aid is given out to attract the best students and raise medians for US News. Transfers aren't competed for in the same way - they don't affect school rankings, except as far as employment numbers go, and some firms are actively anti-transfer so they don't really help that much with employment numbers. If the school has more merit aid resources than it needs, it's more beneficial to the school for them to spend the aid attracting students that will increase their USN rankings. There's just no incentive for schools to merit-aid transfers.

HYS does give out need-based aid though, but if you're top 3% and not no. 1 at a TTTT, you will have trouble getting in there.

starluck

Postby starluck » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:51 pm

I agree that there's no reason for merit aid when it comes to transfers so it seems unlikely any school would want to do that.

However, on the need-based end of things, I transferred to a t14 that is not HYS and received need-based aid although I haven't really heard of this being particularly common.

Lockfast

Postby Lockfast » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:42 pm

Generally, no. Unless it is need based aid or you apply for specific scholarships, though those are usually not available until later on.

Return to “Transfers”