Emory --> BC/BU?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Emory --> BC/BU?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:05 pm

Emory 1L here. A little background: my final three choices were Emory, BC, BU. When picking between the three, I didn't know where I wanted to live/work and I thought Emory offered the best chance to explore options nationally. My money situation was generally the same at all three, though I did get a little more from Emory. At the end of the day, the most money from the highest ranked school won out.

Fast forward: I accepted a job at a firm in New England (where I used to work) for summer 2014, and it's now clear that New England is my desired landing spot long term. Needless to say, I'm annoyed at myself that it took leaving New England to realize how much it meant to me to live there, but that's where I am now.

Obviously, the Boston schools will have better connections in New England. Emory's community and professors have been all I hoped, but I am quite worried about the career services' relative weakness in New England. For what it's worth, NYC is not what I mean when I say New England. I know the Boston schools are generally ranked slightly lower than Emory, but it's hard for me to shake the thought that BC/BU are much better schools for my career.

My questions:
1. How much am I disadvantaging myself in the Boston/New England market by staying at Emory?
2. What kind of grades would a transfer from Emory need to get in BC/BU? (I have a B+ average through one semester)

All other thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BVest

Re: Emory --> BC/BU?

Postby BVest » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My money situation was generally the same at all three, though I did get a little more from Emory. At the end of the day, the most money from the highest ranked school won out.

You're not disadvantaging yourself much by being at Emory. So little that it's likely to be a wash if you're trying to do OCI as a transfer at BU/C.

Secondly, as it relates to the sentence above, you've got the money at Emory and staying there means you keep the money at Emory. Transferring means you don't get squat.

Lastly, if it were me screening, I don't think I'd look favorably on an applicant who gave up on something (in this case moving away) after just one year. It's not like you'd be transferring up, so it's really just about being homesick, absent some other reason to return that did not exist at the time you chose to leave (ill family member, new nephew, fiancee, etc.)

In terms of chances/grades needed, "B+ average" provides zero information without knowing approximately where you stand in your class. Given the lateral nature of the transfer, though, you probably need to be in the top third/40%. BU/C will likely assume you to be about on par with where you would be if you were there, so why would they want to take someone at median or below (unless there was a humanitarian reason to do so).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:26 pm

BVest wrote:Lastly, if it were me screening, I don't think I'd look favorably on an applicant who gave up on something (in this case moving away) after just one year. It's not like you'd be transferring up, so it's really just about being homesick, absent some other reason to return that did not exist at the time you chose to leave (ill family member, new nephew, fiancee, etc.)

In terms of chances, "B+ average" provides zero information without knowing approximately where you stand in your class.

Thanks for replying. Emory hasn't given out class rank yet - my average puts me in the top half, but not within the top 30%.

As for the first sentence above, I don't want to give much away (I want to maintain as much anonymity as possible) but there is now another reason to return that did not exist at the time I chose to leave. Sorry to be cryptic.

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As for the first sentence above, I don't want to give much away (I want to maintain as much anonymity as possible) but there is now another reason to return that did not exist at the time I chose to leave. Sorry to be cryptic.

That's fine. Run the reason by someone you trust who you also feel could be objective (possibly a prof you get along well with from whom you might seek transfer advice and later a LOR). See what they think about it as a valid reason both for accepting a median+ student as a lateral transfer and for explaining that transfer reasoning to employers at OCI.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:49 pm

Are you eligible to do the BLG job fair? I don't know that it would necessarily be worth your while to transfer and lose $$. If you want big law, being in the top of your class now should make you competitive (and if you're not in the top of your class now, big law's not going to happen anyway). And if you want small/mid-law, then that's going to be accomplished by mass-mailing no matter where you are. BU's OCI is not a very effective way to land a job. And if you just want the opportunity to work in Boston for a year like part-time while you're in school or just be here to network, maybe you could look into being a visiting student.

Return to “Transfers”