Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:38 am

Nelson wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I wonder if this poster is who I think it is...

Anyway, weird thread is weird. Gotta pick a region you're targeting and stick with it IMO.
This is terrible advice.

OP: a transfer to CA for family reasons won't significantly hurt your NYC chances as long as your grades stay up and being at a CA school will significantly improve your CA chances. NYC firms will not blink twice at anything on your resume short of doing a pre-law school internship with the American Nazi Party if you have top 25% grades at CCN 1L year and are alive throughout the entire 30 minutes of your interview.
Whelp...

I typed that at the exact same time that he said he preferred CA big law to NY big law. Before that he was saying he wanted to transfer from a NY school to a CA school to target NY big law but he was cool with summering in CA. Go from a NY school to a CA school and work at a CA firm to get NY big law. At least that's how I intrepreted what he was saying. Didn't make any sense to me. I was certainly overly glib and perhaps too dumb to follow his logic but to me, it sounded like he was all over the place and had no plan. I still don't really understand the needing to be in the same state thing (a flight from NY to LA will be about as long as driving from SF to LA, although obviously more expensive) and I don't get why he would need to be there for 9 months out of the year but not the summer. Again, I'm probably just dumb though. Sorry bros.

Now that he says he prefers CA to NY, that changes things.

juzam_djinn

Bronze

Post by juzam_djinn » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:27 am

chances aren't the greatest...

people typically say top 10% or so from a T10 for HYS, but even that just means "you have A chance"

really, it's a crapshoot unless you're a top 5% from a T5 or top 1% from a T10, and that's when it becomes a near guarantee; I'd say top quarter from CCN would be a real real long shot

BFrankBYangC

New

Post by BFrankBYangC » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:23 am

Nelson wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I wonder if this poster is who I think it is...

Anyway, weird thread is weird. Gotta pick a region you're targeting and stick with it IMO.
This is terrible advice.

OP: a transfer to CA for family reasons won't significantly hurt your NYC chances as long as your grades stay up and being at a CA school will significantly improve your CA chances. NYC firms will not blink twice at anything on your resume short of doing a pre-law school internship with the American Nazi Party if you have top 25% grades at CCN 1L year and are alive throughout the entire 30 minutes of your interview.

TITCR. I transferred from bottom of the T14 to HYS and got cbs + offers at several NYC firms. If your grades are good enough to transfer to HYS they are good enough to get NY biglaw. You have good grades from a great school, firms are going to want you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”