Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Need to transfer to HYS for location (personal reasons that have to do with family, etc.)

Do I have a shot at all? If so, how much?

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby Clearly » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:37 pm

What type of geographic family situation makes you have to transfer to either CA, MA, or CT?

User avatar
Gooner91
Posts: 1376
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:34 pm

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby Gooner91 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:38 pm

Clearly wrote:What type of geographic family situation makes you have to transfer to either CA, MA, or CT?


Maybe he has in-laws at CCN?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:40 pm

OP here.

It's complicated but I need to be close to my family for the next year or two. Instead of traveling home every couple weeks during school, I'd rather be at a school in my home state.

Would my grades be enough?

philepistemer
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:43 am

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby philepistemer » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:42 pm

His mom wants to be able to tell people that her son goes to Harvard law.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:54 pm

Any serious answers?

User avatar
UnicornHunter
Posts: 13507
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby UnicornHunter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any serious answers?


Probably depends on which of HYS you want to transfer to.

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:59 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hichvichwoh
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:21 am

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby hichvichwoh » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:18 pm

so, since you're already anonymous, there's no point in saying HYS, but doing so makes you sound extremely disingenuous. I'm not making any judgments, just letting you know why you're not getting any serious answers

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:21 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:so, since you're already anonymous, there's no point in saying HYS, but doing so makes you sound extremely disingenuous. I'm not making any judgments, just letting you know why you're not getting any serious answers


Thanks. I see. I didn't realize HYS had a noticeable variance in admissions criteria (except maybe Y).

I'm looking to transfer to S.
Couldn't care for prestige or what not. I made lots of friends here and it sucks to leave them but I'm in a bit of a bind.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm looking to transfer to S.
Couldn't care for prestige or what not. I made lots of friends here and it sucks to leave them but I'm in a bit of a bind.

It's possible to transfer to S from CCN with top 25% grades. But SLS doesn't take a ton of transfers; I wouldn't count on it.

You should also apply to Boalt. If your family situation will make it preferable for you to work in NorCal after graduation, then B > CCN.
Last edited by rpupkin on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:39 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm looking to transfer to S.
Couldn't care for prestige or what not. I made lots of friends here and it sucks to leave them but I'm in a bit of a bind.

It's possible to transfer to S with top 25% at CCN. But SLS doesn't take a ton of transfers; I wouldn't count on it.

You should also apply to Boalt. If your family situation will make it preferable for you to work in NorCal after graduation, then B > CCN.


Yeah thinking about it. I'm concerned though. I only need to stay in CA for the next year or two, and I don't want to be shut out of NYC Biglaw.

Will going to a lower ranked school shut me out of NYC Biglaw? It might seem suspicious and my interest in NYC might seem disingenuous later on since they might think I'll just leave again.

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:40 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm looking to transfer to S.
Couldn't care for prestige or what not. I made lots of friends here and it sucks to leave them but I'm in a bit of a bind.

It's possible to transfer to S with top 25% at CCN. But SLS doesn't take a ton of transfers; I wouldn't count on it.

You should also apply to Boalt. If your family situation will make it preferable for you to work in NorCal after graduation, then B > CCN.


Yeah thinking about it. I'm concerned though. I only need to stay in CA for the next year or two, and I don't want to be shut out of NYC Biglaw.

Will going to a lower ranked school shut me out of NYC Biglaw? It might seem suspicious and my interest in NYC might seem disingenuous later on since they might think I'll just leave again.

It's not the "lower ranked school" that would be your problem. Your potential trouble would be, as you suggest, the fact that you left NYC to go to Cali. Frankly, this would also be a problem for you if you transferred to SLS.

I'm sure you don't want to get too specific or personal, but NYC firms might hesitate to offer your a spot if you have a potentially long-term family problem in Cali to which you must attend. If it's really clear to the firms that the problem will go away in a year, then I suppose it won't be a big deal if you transfer to SLS or Boalt. Where do you plan to spend your 2L summer?
Last edited by rpupkin on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:48 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm looking to transfer to S.
Couldn't care for prestige or what not. I made lots of friends here and it sucks to leave them but I'm in a bit of a bind.

It's possible to transfer to S with top 25% at CCN. But SLS doesn't take a ton of transfers; I wouldn't count on it.

You should also apply to Boalt. If your family situation will make it preferable for you to work in NorCal after graduation, then B > CCN.


Yeah thinking about it. I'm concerned though. I only need to stay in CA for the next year or two, and I don't want to be shut out of NYC Biglaw.

Will going to a lower ranked school shut me out of NYC Biglaw? It might seem suspicious and my interest in NYC might seem disingenuous later on since they might think I'll just leave again.

It's not the "lower ranked school" that would be your problem. Your potential trouble would be, as you suggest, the fact that you left in NYC to go to Cali. Frankly, this would also be a problem for you if you transferred to SLS.

I'm sure you don't want to get too specific or personal, but NYC firms might hesitate to offer your a spot if you have a potentially long-term family problem in Cali to which you must attend. If it's really clear to the firms that the problem will go away in a year, then I suppose it won't be a big deal if you transfer to SLS or Boalt. Where do you plan to spend your 2L summer?


2L summer, I'd rather have CA but NY is great too.
I was hoping to go to SLS so firms would just think I'm a "prestige whore" (which is better than precluding me from NY firms haha)

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby ScottRiqui » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:48 pm

I don't have any special insight into this, but I did find that Stanford accepted just 10 transfers last year. I don't know what their transfer standards are, but using Harvard as a peer for comparison, they say that successful transfers were usually "very near the top of their class", and are often students who would have been waitlisted or even accepted as 1L applicants based on their pre-law school qualifications.

The calculus may change somewhat based on the fact that you're trying to move up from a T6; those standards may be addressing someone attempting to transfer from a school lower in tier one.

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:51 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L summer, I'd rather have CA but NY is great too.
I was hoping to go to SLS so firms would just think I'm a "prestige whore" (which is better than precluding me from NY firms haha)

But if you have a critical family situation in CA, why would you want to spend three months in NYC?

And you said a few posts back that "you couldn't care for prestige or what not," yet you now apparently care about the "prestige" of SLS.

No offense, but you sound like someone with a not very serious family situation who is using that situation as an excuse to move from the CCN tier to the HYS tier. You should just admit that to yourself and stop playing games.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:58 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm looking to transfer to S.
Couldn't care for prestige or what not. I made lots of friends here and it sucks to leave them but I'm in a bit of a bind.

It's possible to transfer to S with top 25% at CCN. But SLS doesn't take a ton of transfers; I wouldn't count on it.

You should also apply to Boalt. If your family situation will make it preferable for you to work in NorCal after graduation, then B > CCN.


Yeah thinking about it. I'm concerned though. I only need to stay in CA for the next year or two, and I don't want to be shut out of NYC Biglaw.

Will going to a lower ranked school shut me out of NYC Biglaw? It might seem suspicious and my interest in NYC might seem disingenuous later on since they might think I'll just leave again.


Boalt doesn't preclude NYC biglaw (many of my classmates are heading to NYC this summer). However, your point about your interest in NYC seeming disingenuous is warranted and, I believe, enough of a reason to stay put if possible (assuming you want NYC biglaw).



Going to Boalt doesn't, transfering to Boalt might.

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:00 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:01 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2L summer, I'd rather have CA but NY is great too.
I was hoping to go to SLS so firms would just think I'm a "prestige whore" (which is better than precluding me from NY firms haha)

But if you have a critical family situation in CA, why would you want to spend three months in NYC?

And you said a few posts back that "you couldn't care for prestige or what not," yet you now apparently care about the "prestige" of SLS.

No offense, but you sound like someone with a not very serious family situation who is using that situation as an excuse to move from the CCN tier to the HYS tier. You should just admit that to yourself and stop playing games.


Ok I should elaborate.
I don't care about prestige. I'm saying I'd rather have the firm think I care, instead of thinking I'd rather have CA market and using NY as back up.

Second, I said my fam situation was temporary. It occurred after I started law school.

As for my market preferences, I want Biglaw anywhere >>> Biglaw CA > Biglaw NY. I understand that it's more difficult to get biglaw in CA so I still would like the opportunity to have a biglaw job in NY later on

BigZuck
Posts: 10872
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:02 pm

I wonder if this poster is who I think it is...

Anyway, weird thread is weird. Gotta pick a region you're targeting and stick with it IMO.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
As for my market preferences, I want Biglaw anywhere >>> Biglaw CA > Biglaw NY. I understand that it's more difficult to get biglaw in CA so I still would like the opportunity to have a biglaw job in NY later on

If that's the case, then I wouldn't hesitate to transfer to Berkeley, which gives you at least as good of a shot at SoCal big law as CCN and a better shot at NorCal big law. You should of course try to get into SLS. But if that doesn't work, and if you get into Boalt, then go there. The "prestige" difference between Boalt and CCN, if it exists at all, is small. (And it's non-existent in Cali.)

I meant to add: if you're top 25% at CCN, and if you transfer to Berkeley (which shows how serious you are about living in Cali full-time), then you shouldn't have any trouble landing a big law job in California at Boalt's OCI.

User avatar
hichvichwoh
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:21 am

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby hichvichwoh » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:45 pm

BigZuck wrote:Gotta pick a region you're targeting and stick with it IMO.


don't do this

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Top 25%-30% from CCN to HYS

Postby Nelson » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:50 pm

BigZuck wrote:I wonder if this poster is who I think it is...

Anyway, weird thread is weird. Gotta pick a region you're targeting and stick with it IMO.

This is terrible advice.

OP: a transfer to CA for family reasons won't significantly hurt your NYC chances as long as your grades stay up and being at a CA school will significantly improve your CA chances. NYC firms will not blink twice at anything on your resume short of doing a pre-law school internship with the American Nazi Party if you have top 25% grades at CCN 1L year and are alive throughout the entire 30 minutes of your interview.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.