Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Heming123
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby Heming123 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:55 pm

3.9X at school ranked 50-60. Applying early action to USC, GULC, and GW. I may exercise the binding early decision option at USC, as I'd like to end up in SoCal. (Though I'd be happy in DC). I'm fully aware that transfer admission chances are fairly baseless, but any input in terms of my chances at these 3 would be appreciated.

Also, for LORs I'm asking 1 doctrinal prof and then my LRW prof. Does anyone have insight as to whether schools look less favorably at LORs from LRW profs? I received an A+ in LRW and am closest to that prof, so I think it would be a good letter.

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5717
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby BVest » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:18 pm

Heming123 wrote:3.9X at school ranked 50-60. Applying early action to USC, GULC, and GW. I may exercise the binding early decision option at USC, as I'd like to end up in SoCal. (Though I'd be happy in DC). I'm fully aware that transfer admission chances are fairly baseless, but any input in terms of my chances at these 3 would be appreciated.

Also, for LORs I'm asking 1 doctrinal prof and then my LRW prof. Does anyone have insight as to whether schools look less favorably at LORs from LRW profs? I received an A+ in LRW and am closest to that prof, so I think it would be a good letter.


What's the curve? What's your approximate position/percentile? Have you considered Cal? It would probably serve you better than USC. Definitely don't bind yourself outside T14.

For LOR, you always someone who knows you well and will write a strong detailed letter.

Heming123
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby Heming123 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:22 pm

Between Top 3-4%. If I maintain my grades this semester, I'll apply T14. Right now, I'm just focusing on the early action schools. Appreciate the advice!

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:23 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heming123
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby Heming123 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:43 pm

Yeah, thats something I'm grappling with now. Possibility of a Penn/NYU may prevent me from doing binding at USC. But if applying binding twill substantially increase likelihood of acceptance, then it may be worth it...especially due to the unpredictability of law school grades.

Any comments on my chances at GULC EA?

Heming123
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby Heming123 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:31 pm

Bump

Nightclub_Dwight
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby Nightclub_Dwight » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:37 pm

If I were you, I would not bind myself to anything. You will get into all of these schools EA. But if you want biglaw, even SoCal big law, it doesn't make the most sense to go binding to USC. First, if you maintain your grades, you will get into at least one of CCN in all likelihood. These schools will place better in SoCal biglaw than USC will (especially if you already have SoCal ties), despite USC's location.

Second, the worst of all scenarios is one where you do a binding transfer early, but your grades drop second semester. In this scenario, you will probably not do well at OCI, and you will have foregone any scholarship you had at your old school. Firms at OCI will still see your middling grades at your old school, and will still be reticent to hire you, despite the transfer. This means a mountain of debt and no way to pay it off (unless someone is funding you), because you will be paying sticker at USC. I just don't see any world where it makes sense for you to transfer to USC EA. Either you do well and can do better than USC, or you do poorly and transferring EA would create a nightmare scenario.

Jchance
Posts: 589
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:17 am

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby Jchance » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:13 am

.
Last edited by Jchance on Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swinestein
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby Swinestein » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:07 pm

I know a guy top 20% at a T2 ranked slightly lower than yours that got in ED last year. I like your chances.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby 3|ink » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:05 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
Heming123 wrote:Between Top 3-4%. If I maintain my grades this semester, I'll apply T14. Right now, I'm just focusing on the early action schools. Appreciate the advice!


If you apply EA you're going to bind yourself to a school before you know if you maintained your grades. This is good if your grades drop, but you might preclude yourself from better opportunities if you maintain your grades.

EA is binding? Where? It wasn't binding at GULC when I did it.

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:10 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby 3|ink » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:25 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
3|ink wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
Heming123 wrote:Between Top 3-4%. If I maintain my grades this semester, I'll apply T14. Right now, I'm just focusing on the early action schools. Appreciate the advice!


If you apply EA you're going to bind yourself to a school before you know if you maintained your grades. This is good if your grades drop, but you might preclude yourself from better opportunities if you maintain your grades.

EA is binding? Where? It wasn't binding at GULC when I did it.


My mistake then. I assumed EA was binding.

I think that's only at Chicago.

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:28 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby stillwater » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:39 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
3|ink wrote:I think that's only at Chicago.


I assumed EA transfer applications were the same as EA normal applications. This is something that OP should check out, tho.


Isn't this the old EA v. ED dichotomy, with the former being non-binding and the latter binding? I know Chicago is binding, whereas GULC is non-binding (for transfers).
Last edited by stillwater on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:40 pm

If you ED, ED Chicago. Go big.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby stillwater » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:41 pm

jarofsoup wrote:If you ED, ED Chicago. Go big.


especially if you are at one of the local Chicago T2s. they seem to have favorable results in the ED round.

User avatar
UnfrozenCaveman
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:14 pm

EA at Georgetown is not binding. Don't bind yourself. If you want Cali, you may still be able to get into Stanford or Berkeley. Note, however, I know nothing about the Cali market.

My advice would be this: Apply EA to GULC, pay the deposit, and then apply to the other schools you'd attend once 2nd semester grades come in.

Heming123
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby Heming123 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:31 pm

Some great advice, I really appreciate it.

Does anyone know if GULC allows for application to the part-time program. I'll be working in DC over the summer and likely could extend the employment through the semester if I enrolled part-time. Though I'd probably prefer full-time, would applying transfer to PT (if allowed) offer any increase in chances of acceptance?

User avatar
UnfrozenCaveman
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:57 pm

Heming123 wrote:Some great advice, I really appreciate it.

Does anyone know if GULC allows for application to the part-time program. I'll be working in DC over the summer and likely could extend the employment through the semester if I enrolled part-time. Though I'd probably prefer full-time, would applying transfer to PT (if allowed) offer any increase in chances of acceptance?


Not sure about transferring in, but I'm pretty sure the regular PT admissions standards are a little less lax.

Heming123
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby Heming123 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:16 pm

Quick Update--

I just found out my school only posts numbers for Top 3% and Top 10% after first semester. (they also don't publish a number rank until May) For the first semester, Top 3% cutoff is 4.0 and Top 10% is 3.8. My GPA is 3.96. Will it hurt me that my school doesn't specifically publish that I'm Top 5%, or will schools be able to infer such and it not effect me at all? Thanks.

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5717
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby BVest » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:43 pm

Heming123 wrote:Quick Update--

I just found out my school only posts numbers for Top 3% and Top 10% after first semester. (they also don't publish a number rank until May) For the first semester, Top 3% cutoff is 4.0 and Top 10% is 3.8. My GPA is 3.96. Will it hurt me that my school doesn't specifically publish that I'm Top 5%, or will schools be able to infer such and it not effect me at all? Thanks.


Enormous State University School of Law
JD Expected May, 2016
GPA 3.96 (Top 10% at 3.80).

Heming123
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby Heming123 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:58 pm

BVest wrote:
Heming123 wrote:Quick Update--

I just found out my school only posts numbers for Top 3% and Top 10% after first semester. (they also don't publish a number rank until May) For the first semester, Top 3% cutoff is 4.0 and Top 10% is 3.8. My GPA is 3.96. Will it hurt me that my school doesn't specifically publish that I'm Top 5%, or will schools be able to infer such and it not effect me at all? Thanks.


Enormous State University School of Law
JD Expected May, 2016
GPA 3.96 (Top 10% at 3.80).


So I shouldn't mention the Top 3% figure?

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5717
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby BVest » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:41 pm

Not if you're not in the top 3%.

Edit: I say that, but now that I think of it, I have seen it both ways (with just the percentile you're in and the bookends). So you could include the top 3%.
Last edited by BVest on Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby stillwater » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:45 pm

BVest wrote:Not if you're not in the top 3%.


you can use number above yours as a data point. hes not claiming top 3%.

User avatar
Cali05
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:30 pm

Re: Transfer to USC/GULC/GW

Postby Cali05 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:59 pm

BVest wrote: Definitely don't bind yourself outside T14.


THIS
+1

...worst thing possible is you go to the school you would have already been transferring to. You may want SoCal law schools though and that's why you are looking at USC...but Cal could serve you well for SoCal. Don't leave out UCLA bc USC may be a no-go.

As they say in the film 'Taken' with the accent ....lol

"Good Luck"
:)




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.