4.0 from a tier one.

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Transfer or not.

Stay at local tier one school
9%
Transfer only if HYS
60%
Transfer and consider other T-14.
30%

Total votes: 43

Anonymous User

4.0 from a tier one.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:44 pm

I just finished my first semester at a tier one school. It is ranked in the 30s-40s. I got a perfect 4.0 on a 3.25 grading scale. I am considering transferring to the t-14. I am at a dominant regional school that has a decent amount of big firms. The going rate at a big national law firm here is about 120 k a year because of the cheaper cost of living. I love where I am right now and wouldn't mind staying here. To land a big law job at a local firm you would probably have to be in at least the top 10% from my school (by big I mean 500+ attorney national firm). I really want to do big law. The school I am at I got in off the wait-list. So I am paying about 25 k a year in state tuition. My wife has a job here so we will leave with an estimated debt load of about 20 k. If I get a good summer associate internship we will probably be debt free.

Question. Should I leave this school and market that I love for the increase employment and name of a big law school. I think I would probably go to HYS. Should I consider some of other schools like U of Chicago ED? Or Pennsylvania, Virginia, Berkeley and Duke? Or should I stay here and graduate debt free and hope to land one of these big jobs. If I went to one of these other big schools I would probably want to end up in Southern California or at least somewhere on the west coast. Need advice! Thanks!

transfer57

Re: 4.0 from a tier one.

Postby transfer57 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:18 am

I am biased (transferred) but I think transferring is always a good idea if you can break into the top 7 or maybe even 14. Look ten years down the road. Both your current school and the school you would transfer to will provide very similar levels of education, but clients don't know that. They recognize certain names on diplomas. Potential clients will much rather have the satisfaction knowing the attorney they use went to (insert distinguished law school). I think the best way to approach law school is to be able to graduate knowing you're not bound by a career ceiling. If you land a good job out of your current school, great. If you transfer and land the same job, you will have much more mobility within the firm, which can greatly offset the additional tuition cost in the long run. It would be different if you'd be giving up a hefty scholarship, but that doesn't sound to be the case.

sap

Postby sap » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:00 pm

I'm generally pro-transfer, but it seems like in your situation you may be better off staying where you are. It sounds like your wife is already established in her career, and if you're interested in Southern California... there aren't any schools worth transferring to down there, so you'd be uprooting her career twice in the next three years without a guarantee of getting the southern california market. The west coast market is generally quite tight, and with most of your ties in your old school's market, you'll probably get some questions about what you're doing in Cali.

It also sounds like you're actually in good shape to be well-employed after graduation - 10% in regional BigLaw is by no means a guarantee, but I'd be surprised if with a 4.0 and a wife who works in the area, you can't land a market job. And you will have very little debt - if you keep your grades up, I bet that you can negotiate a hefty scholarship. Do big firms in your region come to your school's OCI? If so, you may be better off staying where you are.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:06 pm

What is your current money situation? Many schools offer full rides to their top 5%+ students.

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:26 pm

I'm confused about which market you want to end up in. You call the market where the school you're in the market you love, but want to end up in SoCal?

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:47 pm

I'm going to assume you're at UCLA. I would first try and get through second semester since most law schools don't accept transfers without second semester 1L grades. Beyond that though, I would try to get as much money out of your school and compare it to what law schools you end up being able to transfer into. If you're able to get a sizable scholarship increase, and your school feeds into the market you want to eventually work in, I would just stay where you're at.

Good job on a great first semester of law school!

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:14 am

Ohiobumpkin wrote:I'm going to assume you're at UCLA. I would first try and get through second semester since most law schools don't accept transfers without second semester 1L grades. Beyond that though, I would try to get as much money out of your school and compare it to what law schools you end up being able to transfer into. If you're able to get a sizable scholarship increase, and your school feeds into the market you want to eventually work in, I would just stay where you're at.

UCLA is not ranked 30-40. My guess is Hastings?

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:23 am

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:
Ohiobumpkin wrote:I'm going to assume you're at UCLA. I would first try and get through second semester since most law schools don't accept transfers without second semester 1L grades. Beyond that though, I would try to get as much money out of your school and compare it to what law schools you end up being able to transfer into. If you're able to get a sizable scholarship increase, and your school feeds into the market you want to eventually work in, I would just stay where you're at.

Or being charitable (cherry-picking the rankings) with Pepperdine (was 49 in last year's ranking).

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:08 am

Reading comp fail on my part, lol. Thanks. Well then, definitely transfer or get a full ride at current school.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:28 am

Ohiobumpkin wrote:

Reading comp fail on my part, lol. Thanks. Well then, definitely transfer or get a full ride at current school.

EA GULC, which is non-binding, so you have that option. Consider EDing Chicago w/ a 4.0 from Hastings you would probably get in. Come back after you get spring grades.

sap

Postby sap » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:16 am

OP is definitely not at hastings. Market in SF is not 120, and there definitely isn't a "cheaper cost of living" near hastings. Hastings isn't a "dominant" regional school, and you can't pay 25k with no scholly at hastings. Or any california school. OP is definitely thinking about leaving a home market for Cali, which is a tough move outside of landing stanford (which isn't out of the question, and if that happens, go for it, OP.)

kobe1020

Postby kobe1020 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:14 am

sap wrote:OP is definitely not at hastings. Market in SF is not 120, and there definitely isn't a "cheaper cost of living" near hastings. Hastings isn't a "dominant" regional school, and you can't pay 25k with no scholly at hastings. Or any california school. OP is definitely thinking about leaving a home market for Cali, which is a tough move outside of landing stanford (which isn't out of the question, and if that happens, go for it, OP.)

+1 keen eyes

guano

Postby guano » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:35 am

transfer57 wrote:I think the best way to approach law school is to be able to graduate knowing you're not bound by a ceiling

There is no ceiling. Better schools provide a better chance to start right, but that's about it.

OP is in a place he wants to be, with fantastic grades, and will be competitive for local biglaw. $120k in a low cost of living area beats $160k in most locations that pay $160k (fuck you Texas). Hell, a 4.0 GPA from a non-TTT would make OP competitive at any firm, and OP should mass mail like crazy.
Transferring to a T14 would increase the cost of law school significantly (higher tuition, loss of wife's income, possible higher cost of living) without getting much back in return.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:27 am

You get good grades next semester and apply to the T14 (all of them) and then see how much they try to charge you. Also ask your current school for some money and see what happens. Definitely apply to other schools. I mean, you pay $25,000 which is a lot. If you go to a T14, maybe that is only $50,000 more in tuition that you pay if you transfer out. But the fact that your wife got a job, can't be taken lightly. I think you just got to get another good semester and see what happens. I mean, 4.0 is number one in your class so you better start applying to a lot of places now as a 1L. You can probably do well if you go to those cattle call career fairs that they have in the summer instead of transferring. I mean, at the end of the day, it's about getting Big Law. Where you went to school won't really matter once you start working unless you go to HYS, which are just god's gift at any academics.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:37 pm

OP here. Thanks for the tips. This still leaves me confused. For clarification purposes I am at one of the Arizona schools. I don't live in Cali. I was just saying if I transferred then I would prob take big law in cali. If I didn't I would be happy staying here. I have gotten a few interviews with 1L summer associate firms, but most say they just wanted to meet me and really want me to apply for the 2L summer. It seems people are pretty split on the transfer question. I am now thinking I may ED to Chicago for safety reasons. Just so I would have a guarantee at one of the T6. If I don't get in then I will apply RD to NYU, Columbia and take the long shot for HYS. The only real issue here is money. Should I leave this school almost debt free and hope for that 120 k local big law salary. Or should I transfer and potentially take 100-200 k debt for the guarantee big law at these schools. I am not opposed working in NY for a few years if I transfer. Probably no way in hell I would stay in Chicago to work though. I am open to the NY, DC, CA and Arizona Big Law markets.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:30 pm

I think this depends on your plans after 10 years. If you're interested in politics, becoming an executive officer of a corporation or wall st. firm, then I really recommend transferring to a T14 school due to the alumni network and the fact that most of your classmates will all excel at whatever field they enter. With your stats you should get into HLS and have a shot at YLS, and almost guaranteed acceptance at NYU, CLS, UChicago, UPenn, etc. Do I really need to list notable alumni from those schools? Or should I just list the number of presidents who have gone to one of those law schools? :)

(Obviously the decision to transfer for me to transfer was much easier. Early 20s and single.)

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:23 pm

Stated in different terms as above, you could probably have a quiet, comfortable life in AZ if you stay put making pretty good money. Transferring would sort of alter your career trajectory but if you just want to go back to AZ, it probably isn't worth it.

Return to “Transfers”