Georgetown, NYU, FSU, UF - Transfer Questions

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Georgetown, NYU, FSU, UF - Transfer Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:08 pm

Hello,

I currently go to a TTTT in Florida. I received the following grades: A - Criminal Law, Torts - A, Contracts - B+, Legal Writing - B+ (However, I booked the class with this B+). My GPA is 3.76. The grading curve at my school for 1L is 2.5-2.7. Therefore, my class rank is quite high (top 5% if not better). I believe 275 students are in 1L.

I would love to work big law for a few years in either DC or NY, but I feel that it may be more easy/practical to try to work in my hometown of Florida.

So, I'm planning on applying as a transfer to NYU and Georgetown (reach-schools), but i am also open to any suggests of other top ranked schools that others may think plausible given my situation.
In addition, I'm also applying to FSU and UF (more probable schools).

Anyone who has transferred/attended either of these schools, I would appreciate hearing what you have to say. Also, any recommendations as to where I have a good chance of getting in as a transfer.

Bottom Line: I do not want to go to and graduate from a TTTT in Florida with an already saturated market. Please help!!

thebobs1987

Re: Georgetown, NYU, FSU, UF - Transfer Questions

Postby thebobs1987 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello,

I currently go to a TTTT in Florida. I received the following grades: A - Criminal Law, Torts - A, Contracts - B+, Legal Writing - B+ (However, I booked the class with this B+). My GPA is 3.76. The grading curve at my school for 1L is 2.5-2.7. Therefore, my class rank is quite high (top 5% if not better). I believe 275 students are in 1L.

I would love to work big law for a few years in either DC or NY, but I feel that it may be more easy/practical to try to work in my hometown of Florida.

So, I'm planning on applying as a transfer to NYU and Georgetown (reach-schools), but i am also open to any suggests of other top ranked schools that others may think plausible given my situation.
In addition, I'm also applying to FSU and UF (more probable schools).

Anyone who has transferred/attended either of these schools, I would appreciate hearing what you have to say. Also, any recommendations as to where I have a good chance of getting in as a transfer.

Bottom Line: I do not want to go to and graduate from a TTTT in Florida with an already saturated market. Please help!!

I had a friend that was top 10% at Stetson and was able to transfer to GW. I don't think it is worth paying full price at GW, but if you are not worried about debt and want to be in DC, not a bad option. Unless you're 1 or 2 in your class probably not happening at a T6 though NYU does have a big transfer class. Do Georgetown early action and with the large class you have a good shot if you are in the top 5%. If you don't get T14, UF and FSU are probably your best bets assuming you get in state tuition

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:01 pm

GULC is really the only T14 that likes T3/T4 students, but DC big law as a transfer student from a T4 is almost impossible even if you're at GULC. NYC is doable but still very hard. Regardless of where you end up, I recommend mass mailing FL firms this summer while you're still in the state.

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:32 pm

Transfer. Apply to more than just NYU and GULC. Read through the forums a bit...you'll find good choices for a potential transfer outside the t14.

Return to “Transfers”