Transfer from DCNG for Clerkships?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer from DCNG for Clerkships?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:51 am

I made top 10%, probably top 5% at Cornell (they don't release top 5% until after 2nd semester, but I'm significantly above last year's). One of my professors also asked me to stay on as a research assistant, and is using my exam as the example for next year, so although Cornell doesn't announce such things I would assume I topped the class. Because I barely have a scholarship at Cornell, my costs won't go up no matter where I transfer. Cornell is expensive as hell.

I really want a federal clerkship after law school, preferably appellate. For that, am I better off sticking it out at Cornell, with the connections I'm forming, or applying to HYS? or CCN?

sublime

Re: Transfer from DCNG for Clerkships?

Postby sublime » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:10 am

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:12 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:41 pm

You're better off staying if your number one goal is clerking because you need profs to write strong letters and make calls. For that, you need good relationships with profs, which will be much stronger where you are than what you can build in one semester.

wiz

Postby wiz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:26 pm

Nelson wrote:You're better off staying if your number one goal is clerking because you need profs to write strong letters and make calls. For that, you need good relationships with profs, which will be much stronger where you are than what you can build in one semester.

I agree with this. Although I think you should apply to give yourself as many options as possible, I would probs stay put unless you somehow don't make LR.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:30 pm

Nelson wrote:You're better off staying if your number one goal is clerking because you need profs to write strong letters and make calls. For that, you need good relationships with profs, which will be much stronger where you are than what you can build in one semester.

Agreed. There have been a couple of threads in the Clerkships forum about transfers to HYS having a hard time securing clerkships. If your goal is to clerk--especially if your goal is to clerk in the year following graduation--you probably should stay at Cornell.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:07 pm

wiz wrote:

I agree with this. Although I think you should apply to give yourself as many options as possible, I would probs stay put unless you somehow don't make LR.

Agreed. Law review is also an issue. An HYS transfer without law review hurts you way more than it would help.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:07 pm

Would a fair assessment of the consensus be that my best options are to apply to HYS and hope I write on to LR at one? And that if I don't succeed at writing on, I should either stick with Cornell or wait before trying for a clerkship?

It seems like there's a bit more disagreement on the point of whether I should transfer if I do make LR at one of HYS. Thoughts? Also, is even getting the transfer a sure thing at top ~5% from Cornell? I got the impression from the Yahoo transfer group that it's more like 50/50, but then I only saw like four transfers from Cornell.

Thanks for the help guys/gals.

Edit: It's worth noting that, like too many law students, I'm a sucker for prestige. I feel like if I apply to transfer and get in, I'll have a hard time saying no, even if I don't make LR.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:14 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:27 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:I think you should apply to HYS and see what your options are. I'd also apply to CCN for scholarship negotiation purposes. I didn't apply to Yale so I'm not sure how their LR write-on works for transfers, but Harvard will require you to complete the write-on before they admit or deny you. That's fucking brutal because you'll have already completed the write-on for your own school, then do Harvard's, and then (if you aren't admitted to Harvard but snag YSCCN) have to complete a third write-on.

Well, with my RA position and another summer job just starting, the write on process will probably be absolutely godawful. But what the hell, it's only one summer of my life that sucks, in preparation for a life of leisure and bliss riding upon a cloud of prestige, no?

brotherdarkness wrote:Also, for purposes of clerkship applications, some of my fellow transfers have used LORs from professors at their 1L school (they know why you'd transfer and probably won't alienate you like the school because they're not directly impacted by your decision to transfer). Moreover, if you need a LORs from your new school, you can always get cozy with one of the profs during your fall semester and ace his/her class (that's what I did and now I've got a "friend" amongst the faculty at my new school).

I'm rather hoping to avail myself of the former of those options. I think at least one professor here really likes me, and since I'll have all of this semester to continue making a good impression, I suspect I'll be able to keep him as a friend after transferring. Plus, he clerked for Kennedy and a prominent appellate judge, so I think he likely has some rather nice connections.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:37 pm

I wouldn't give up the special treatment and attention that come from being top of your class to transfer for "prestige" if you're already at a top school. Cornell has some heavy hitter profs for clerkships and is a name brand. You're not gaining much by transferring and you are giving up a lot. If you stay in the top 5%, you're going to get extra attention at your current school especially when it comes to clerkships and academia if that's what you want. However much your professors like you, you'll lose a lot of good will by transferring.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:51 pm

I agree with brotherdarkness that you should apply to HYS and see what your options are. However, I'd be cautious about heeding his reassurances concerning LORs from professors at your 1L school. Although he's probably right that your 1L professors will still write recommendations for you, I think you'll find that LORs are often necessary but not sufficient. For the competitive clerkships, you usually need a professor with influence who will pick up the phone for you. Based on the few anecdotes I'm aware of, professors are generally unwilling to do that for students who transferred out of the school. They'll reserve their recommendation capital for students who stick around.

Yeah, you'll be fine at your transfer school if you ace a class during your 2L Fall semester that is taught by a connected professor. But that's a pretty big "if." Based on what I've seen in the clerkship world, there's a not insignificant chance that you'd be diminishing your short-term chances at a competitive clerkship by transferring out of Cornell, even if you make law review at HYS.

daleearnhardt123

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:24 am

Absolutely no reason to transfer, IMO. Considerations:

1. You need professors pulling for you. That'll be close to impossible to get at the school you transfer into
2. No LR at HYS is NOT > LR at Cornell for clerkship purposes. Don't count on writing on at HYS, thats silly.
3. At Cornell you are going to be Top X. At HYS you aren't gonna be shit when you apply for clerkships.

The one reason to APPLY to transfer is to acquire scholly negotiating leverage with Cornell. For clerkships, you are stuck with what you've got, IMO.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:46 am

daleearnhardt123 wrote:Absolutely no reason to transfer, IMO. Considerations:

1. You need professors pulling for you. That'll be close to impossible to get at the school you transfer into
2. No LR at HYS is NOT > LR at Cornell for clerkship purposes. Don't count on writing on at HYS, thats silly.
3. At Cornell you are going to be Top X. At HYS you aren't gonna be shit when you apply for clerkships.

The one reason to APPLY to transfer is to acquire scholly negotiating leverage with Cornell. For clerkships, you are stuck with what you've got, IMO.

I don't believe Cornell negotiates for scholarships with students considering transfer. I swear I heard that on these forums...

Return to “Transfers”