Stay at WUSTL or ED to UChicago or RD elsewhere?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
keg411

Re: Stay at WUSTL or ED to UChicago or RD elsewhere?

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:36 am

Going to agree with the others that say don't transfer if you're just doing it to have more BigLaw options. You do it to increase your chances of getting *1* offer, or if you want to change regions and your school doesn't place there (I did it for the former. FTR, I'm happy with the decision now, but wasn't always while I was still in school).

But honestly, I know nothing about WUSTL's placement, so your best bet would be to talk to current 2L's/3L's on LR, since they stayed in your position and likely have friends/know people that transferred.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:55 pm

you should do whatever makes you more prestigious

wiz

Postby wiz » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:52 pm

Chicago would make you rigorous and prestigious.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:06 pm

I wouldn't take out another 100k+ in your circumstances. Top 5% with a decent personality is a virtual lock to have NYC/DC/Boston biglaw offers from WUSTL, and you'll be very competitive from the top 10%. The scholarship really makes all the difference here. If you had little or no scholarship, I'd say bail in a heartbeat, but I don't think what you'd gain by leaving is worth giving up the scholly for. Seems like you're mostly doing this for prestige and I don't think that's worth $100,000.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:I wouldn't take out another 100k+ in your circumstances. Top 5% with a decent personality is a virtual lock to have NYC/DC/Boston biglaw offers from WUSTL, and you'll be very competitive from the top 10%. The scholarship really makes all the difference here. If you had little or no scholarship, I'd say bail in a heartbeat, but I don't think what you'd gain by leaving is worth giving up the scholly for. Seems like you're mostly doing this for prestige and I don't think that's worth $100,000.

As usual, I think Romo hit this one on the head. I totally agree.

What about prestigious clerkships though Romo? Do you have any idea if he would be competitive for those if he stayed?

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:34 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:43 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
stillwater wrote:you should do whatever makes you more prestigious

Prestige is everything.

thats why i dont buy generic brands anymore.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:45 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:52 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
stillwater wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
stillwater wrote:you should do whatever makes you more prestigious

Prestige is everything.

thats why i dont buy generic brands anymore.

You used to buy generics?

when i was young and unprestigious.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:31 pm

BigZuck wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I wouldn't take out another 100k+ in your circumstances. Top 5% with a decent personality is a virtual lock to have NYC/DC/Boston biglaw offers from WUSTL, and you'll be very competitive from the top 10%. The scholarship really makes all the difference here. If you had little or no scholarship, I'd say bail in a heartbeat, but I don't think what you'd gain by leaving is worth giving up the scholly for. Seems like you're mostly doing this for prestige and I don't think that's worth $100,000.

As usual, I think Romo hit this one on the head. I totally agree.

What about prestigious clerkships though Romo? Do you have any idea if he would be competitive for those if he stayed?

Competitive, yes. But our clerkship numbers are pretty poor, so it's almost always a toss-up for a really competitive clerkship unless you're a single-digit rank. Outside of that, it really would depend a lot on personal factors like relationships with professors.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:12 am

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:44 pm

OP here. Ended up in the top 10%.

Spent some time talking to CSO, some WashU alums who transferred to HYSCC and are at V10 firms, and current WashU students who transferred to those schools, and some other lawyers

Decided not to ED or EA anywhere. Planning on staying at WashU unless I have a shot at Harvard, and even then i would take some time to consider it.

Ultimately it became clear that the benefits I would gain from transferring weren't relevant to my career goals and that I would be borrowing more money to get a similar job.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:44 am

Top 10% at WUSTL is a lock to get ~30+ OCI interviews, interview with at least half of the V20, and get at least as many OCI interviews as you would at any T14. There is absolutely no point in transferring for Biglaw. If you strike out with top 10% at WUSTL you'll strike out as a transfer. You get *all* the screeners here you'd get at any other school with those grades. As a (Barely) top 10% at WUSTL last year I had screeners with ~14 of the V20, without any respectable undergrad or softs. And all a T14 gets you is the OCI.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:36 am

dude. don't transfer.

Return to “Transfers”