Top 10% from UCLA

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Charlie.Home

Top 10% from UCLA

Postby Charlie.Home » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:50 pm

What do you think the ceiling for transferring from UCLA in the top 7%-10% range of the class is? Do you think it's worth it? No real ties to Southern California, but I do enjoy it here.

Charlie.Home

Re: Top 10% from UCLA

Postby Charlie.Home » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:53 pm

3.8 gpa for the fall

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:57 pm

Nice work. Keep at it and repeat your performance and you should be good. Top 10% there should get you whatever you want on the west coast. Probably harder for east coast just because of location and alumni possibly. Negotiate for scholarship money if you can once you get admitted to other transfer schools.

Charlie.Home

Postby Charlie.Home » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:12 pm

I would love to live in Chicago after graduation, do you think UChicago ED is a realistic goal?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:26 pm

Charlie.Home wrote:I would love to live in Chicago after graduation, do you think UChicago ED is a realistic goal?

You're going to find it difficult to land Chicago biglaw out of UCLA. You should ED to UChicago. If you know that you want to work in Chicago after graduation, then UChicago is the best place to go outside of HY (neither of which are likely to take someone in the top 7-10% at UCLA). If UChi doesn't work out, transfer to NU--they'll be more than happy to take your money.

Charlie.Home

Postby Charlie.Home » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:16 pm

Anyone else want to weigh in on chances?

Nightclub_Dwight

Postby Nightclub_Dwight » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:51 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Charlie.Home wrote:I would love to live in Chicago after graduation, do you think UChicago ED is a realistic goal?

You're going to find it difficult to land Chicago biglaw out of UCLA. You should ED to UChicago. If you know that you want to work in Chicago after graduation, then UChicago is the best place to go outside of HY (neither of which are likely to take someone in the top 7-10% at UCLA). If UChi doesn't work out, transfer to NU--they'll be more than happy to take your money.

Bolded is false. I know for a fact H took more than 1 person this year from the ~10% range at schools worse than UCLA.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:58 pm

Nightclub_Dwight wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Bolded is false. I know for a fact H took more than 1 person this year from the ~10% range at schools worse than UCLA.

Yeah, given that entering class sizes are shrinking at most schools it wouldn't surprise me if transferring would be a bit easier.

Mentally_AFK

Postby Mentally_AFK » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:33 am

Nightclub_Dwight wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Not sure how size is relevant when rankings are in percentages.

Still, from what seems to be said around the boards, you have a chance at H, though probably not a great one, and a better shot at everything below HYS.

lionLawyer

Postby lionLawyer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:58 pm

I was top 5-10% at UCLA last year and transferred to YLS this year. Shoot for the moon!

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:01 pm

Mentally_AFK wrote:
Nightclub_Dwight wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Not sure how size is relevant when rankings are in percentages.

Still, from what seems to be said around the boards, you have a chance at H, though probably not a great one, and a better shot at everything below HYS.

Smaller pool. Conversely, might need to fill more seats. It's math dawg.

Charlie.Home

Postby Charlie.Home » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:14 pm

Would you wing it and go for HYS or ED Chicago? No particular reason why my grades would suffer, but who knows

Return to “Transfers”