Advice on a potential transfer

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Advice on a potential transfer

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:42 pm

I just got my last first-semester grade back, and I was hoping to get some input based on the assumption that my grades next semester are similar.

I am at a Midwestern school that places people relatively well outside of the state, especially with ties. I have ties to the state and to CA. I came here willing to work here, but with a preference to get back to CA, which is now a strong preference. I don't have last semester's grade distribution yet, but going off previous distributions and what I have read in this subforum, I think having this GPA after next semester should give me a very good chance at UCB and a non-zero chance at HYS. I know a lot of the drawbacks that normally come with transferring, and I would additionally be giving up $$$$. Assuming I can get into any of these schools, would any be worth it for CA biglaw? There would not be much of an OCI presence at my current school, but there are off-campus fairs that would have better representation. Would being a transfer at any of these schools give enough of a boost to be worth the extra money (possibly $100k or a little more) or am I better off staying?

Danger Zone

Re: Advice on a potential transfer

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:20 am

We really can't give you much advice, given how little info you've provided, but read the Advice thread that is stickied in this forum. Read the whole thing, but especially the section that says "Should I go?"

The answer, not surprisingly, is generally yes if you have the option. However, it's an extremely personal decision, and you will have to weigh the pros and cons for yourself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:29 am

Delete
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:30 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:34 am

What's more important to you: getting big law, or getting a job in CA? I think you're well situated currently to land a job, but if you want it to be in Cali, you should strongly consider making that move. I'll leave it to BD since he was in a closer situation to you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am

Thank you both.

BD-I'll PM tomorrow when I have a little more time, I really appreciate it.

Return to “Transfers”