Cornell to HYS Questions

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mentally_AFK

Cornell to HYS Questions

Postby Mentally_AFK » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:45 pm

Last edited by Mentally_AFK on Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

UVAIce

Re: Cornell to HYS Questions

Postby UVAIce » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:50 pm

I don't think your chances to transfer to H or S are that bad, but why? You are going to have an easy time picking up an SA position out of Cornell. I am also assuming that your chances of making it onto the law review there are fairly good. I suppose you might pick up some need based aid at H or S - I am assuming that you do not have a scholarship for Cornell.

Mentally_AFK

Postby Mentally_AFK » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:53 pm

UVAIce wrote:I don't think your chances to transfer to H or S are that bad, but why? You are going to have an easy time picking up an SA position out of Cornell. I am also assuming that your chances of making it onto the law review there are fairly good. I suppose you might pick up some need based aid at H or S - I am assuming that you do not have a scholarship for Cornell.

I'd really prefer to end up in academia, and Cornell just doesn't have the cachet to get me far in that ambition.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:14 pm

Dang, I didn't know you could retake the LSAT after getting into law school. Good luck!

Mentally_AFK

Postby Mentally_AFK » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:36 pm

Bajam wrote:Dang, I didn't know you could retake the LSAT after getting into law school. Good luck!

I've read elsewhere that it's often unnecessary or even a bad idea because it distracts you from keeping your grades up. However, I barely even got into Cornell (was on reserve) based on my UGPA and that LSAT, so I'm worried they'll drag me down in applying to transfer. And I'm really not concerned with being distracted from keeping my grades up--I managed a very healthy work-life balance last semester, and I could almost certainly do it again even with an hour of LSAT studying per night for a few weeks.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:38 pm

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:52 pm

rad lulz wrote:Don't retake LSAT for transfer

Srsly why would you so this

Yeah the LSAT doesn't matter a bit for transfer prospects.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:03 pm

Exactly. The only value in the LSAT is predicting your 1L performance, and once you've actually done 1L, there's no need to predict it.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:36 pm

Academia is all about publishing potential. Some of it is also about pedigree/prestige.

The thing about HYS (particularly Y) and the academic process is that they're better than all of the other schools walking into it blind - but that's not true after you have a year of law school and connections under your belt. It's all but certain your academic would be harder to pull off transferring to HYS than it would be leveraging your success and connections at Cornell.

The school you went to is just a line on your resume. Who you know and what you do will matter. You've got a great start and transferring to HYS wouldn't necessarily set you back, but it wouldn't be the positive expected value move that it would be if you were a pre-law student trying to choose where to go or a 1L at a shitty school that would need some brand just to get noticed.

BFrankBYangC

Postby BFrankBYangC » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:12 am

I was accepted to 2 of HYS with a slightly (.01) lower GPA from one of DCNG. If you can maintain your GPA for another semester I imagine you would have similar results.

FWIW you can get need aid from HYS as a transfer. This aid can be fairly generous, depending on your families income/your age/siblings in college. If you don't have a scholarship now, you could potentially save some serious money by transferring.

You will 100% grade on to Cornell law review with that GPA, so you'll have to give that up. Your (biglaw) career prospects are unlikely to be much different as a transfer (whether you leave or stay, the only limiting factor is going to be how well you interview).

Good luck
Last edited by BFrankBYangC on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:52 am

BFrankBYangC wrote:You will 100% grade on to Cornell law review with that GPA, so you'll have to give that up.

Unless he or she fucks up the writing competition enough, which DOES happen.

brorepresentation1

Postby brorepresentation1 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:24 am

LSAT predicts 1L success potential, focus on grades.

7ED

Postby 7ED » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:30 pm

There are a ton of Cornell transfers here at HLS, 3 in the last year alone.

Return to “Transfers”