Grades in. Any shot at HYS? CCN? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Grades in. Any shot at HYS? CCN?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:30 pm

At a top 50 school, got 3As and 1A- this semester. 3.9 GPA. If I do as well next semester, do I have a shot at any of those schools? Goal is Texas BigLaw, but i'm sure I can get that by staying at the school i'm at. Looking to transfer for a possible career in academia, better clerkship opportunities, prestige, etc. Thoughts? Suggestions? Also, I have a full ride at the school i'm at now, so I'd definitely have to take that into consideration as well.

Also, what do people think about binding at Chicago? I'm not sure if i'd be happy there, but it is an amazing school, and I love the city. I'm afraid of my GPA slipping and not having an opportunity at any of those at all after next semester.

Much appreciated.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Re: Grades in. Any shot at HYS? CCN?

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:41 pm

What's your position in the class?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:46 pm

cusenation wrote:What's your position in the class?
School hasn't released that yet, but according to the last 5 years, top 1%, ranked 1 or 2 in class.

Lizard

New

Post by Lizard » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
School hasn't released that yet, but according to the last 5 years, top 1%, ranked 1 or 2 in class.
If you maintain this, decent shot at getting 1 of HYS assuming strong prof recs

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
If you are ranked 1 or 2 in your class you definitely have a chance at HLS. They take a few lower T50 kids each year. Probably a chance at SLS too. (I can give no predictions of YLS because it is such a black box, though if I were you, I'd consider it worth the app fee just to try.)

Your overall app will be really important, much moreso than when applying as a 0L. Undergrad GPA and LSAT don't matter at all, and you're competing for a limited number of slots. If you have a compelling story and strong LORs, those can really give you the push you need. Start thinking about how you'd frame your essays now; no need to start writing this early, but you should form a good idea of what you're going to say before you get into finals rush and 2L summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sap

Bronze

Post by sap » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:57 pm

You definitely have a shot, though you should consider UT over CCN if you want texas biglaw. They care a lot about ties (I've heard), and if you're transferring around outside of texas, may be more skeptical of your commitment (I think anyone gets why you pick HYS over UT though).

Congrats on kicking 1L's butt.

ThreeSixTwo

New

Post by ThreeSixTwo » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:59 am

If you are #1 or #2 in your class, you have a fair shot at HYS if you are still at that position come end of second semester (with H being the most probable and Y and S being the black boxes). Being 1 or 2 in your class, you'd have a very strong shot (I hesitate to say lock, but it's what I'm thinking) at Columbia, NYU, Penn, Berk, Mich, etc. Chicago is tough if you don't do early binding, as I understand that is how they get most of their transfers. Assuming you'd get into Chicago with early binding application, you could be potentially giving up a shot at HYS, which wouldn't be worth it since you have backups like CNMVPB and you're not looking to get into the Chicago market.

Additionally, you will be able to get Texas biglaw (esp. if you have ties) as a CCNMVPB transfer (people in my transfer class that wanted it got it). I'd bet that they would give you just as good shot - if not better - at Texas biglaw than UT.

Allow me to offer my congrats to you for killing first semester 1L as well.

Source: Transferred into the CCNMVPB myself last cycle from a T50 (w/ full ride), so I'm intimately familiar with this process and know quite a few people that have transferred. Feel free to PM me if you want some more specific transfer advice, as I know it can be a convoluted process.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:52 pm

This forum again…Anyway, I would recommend, given your position currently, to begin low-intensity recommendation shopping and other preparatory measures. Depending on when your school issues grades, it will be a major headache to wait for recommendations until Spring grades are released. I would start looking now, lock them up, so you give them ample time but also be ready to move forward come Spring time with the least amount of preparation still necessary.

forestgirl

Bronze

Post by forestgirl » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:25 pm

Congrats-- I had the same fall semester GPA and then did in fact slide, got a 3.7 my second semester. I still got into Columbia, Penn, and NYU. My slide was mostly due to one class, got a B+ because I fail at reading instructions on page limits. My advice: don't get the last third of your Property exam cut off.

One of my 1L friends did super well fall semester, got into Chicago binding, and then did the worst slide possible in the spring. I think he got all Bs and a C. He's now at Chicago, so obviously they still let him in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:31 pm

Thank you all for the advice!
sap wrote:You definitely have a shot, though you should consider UT over CCN if you want texas biglaw. They care a lot about ties (I've heard), and if you're transferring around outside of texas, may be more skeptical of your commitment (I think anyone gets why you pick HYS over UT though).

Congrats on kicking 1L's butt.
I'm currently attending law school in Texas, and BigLaw is pretty much guaranteed for the top 10-15% of students at my school. Accordingly, giving up grades, law review, and full scholarship just to graduate from UT doesn't seem worth it to me.
forestgirl wrote:Congrats-- I had the same fall semester GPA and then did in fact slide, got a 3.7 my second semester. I still got into Columbia, Penn, and NYU. My slide was mostly due to one class, got a B+ because I fail at reading instructions on page limits. My advice: don't get the last third of your Property exam cut off.

One of my 1L friends did super well fall semester, got into Chicago binding, and then did the worst slide possible in the spring. I think he got all Bs and a C. He's now at Chicago, so obviously they still let him in.
That's awesome! Did you end up at Columbia? Also, did your friend just get extremely lazy? It seems like you'd have to almost try to do that bad.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:33 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:46 am

brotherdarkness wrote:My situation was similar to yours, OP.

I was at UIUC last year and finished 1L with a 3.89 and was third in my class. I applied to Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, and Berkeley. I was accepted at Berkeley, denied at Chicago (though a guy from my school with a lower GPA/rank was accepted), and withdrew from Harvard and Stanford (I wasn't accepted during Harvard's initial "wave" of transfer acceptances and didn't bother sticking it out after that).
So, was it worth it? I'm not quite sure how beneficial it would be to transfer to any school outside of the T6. And congrats!

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:24 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:22 pm

If you're already a top student in your target market on a full ride, I would stay put. As for your chances, I think you're a lock at CCN and have a decent shot at H.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:38 pm

wiz wrote:If you're already a top student in your target market on a full ride, I would stay put. As for your chances, I think you're a lock at CCN and have a decent shot at H.
real question is...how much is OP willing to pay for PRESTIGE

transferhopes2013

New

Post by transferhopes2013 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:53 pm

Was #2 in my class at T1 last transfer cycle. Denied at H and S. Had three H alums that knew me well author specific letters. IMO (and based on last cycle) if you're outside of the T14 don't bother applying to Yale. The other two are worth the shot. Got in everywhere else I applied.

Good luck! I hope your results are better than mine were.

downinDtown

Bronze

Post by downinDtown » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:At a top 50 school, got 3As and 1A- this semester. 3.912 GPA. If I do as well next semester, do I have a shot at any of those schools? Goal is Texas BigLaw, but i'm sure I can get that by staying at the school i'm at. Looking to transfer for a possible career in academia, better clerkship opportunities, prestige, etc. Thoughts? Suggestions? Also, I have a full ride at the school i'm at now, so I'd definitely have to take that into consideration as well.
Just a quick question: You only have 4 grades so unless you have some 5-credit classes, I'm assuming you are a part-time student, correct? If so, that may affect which schools consider you (see http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 7&t=210646 or http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=126366).

I was in a similar situation, decided not to transfer, and ended up w/ TX biglaw. It really does boil down if you want to pay for prestige. And also consider the opportunity cost of giving up the connections you've built your first year and the advantages that proximity to your target market provides.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:27 pm

transferhopes2013 wrote:Was #2 in my class at T1 last transfer cycle. Denied at H and S. Had three H alums that knew me well author specific letters. IMO (and based on last cycle) if you're outside of the T14 don't bother applying to Yale. The other two are worth the shot. Got in everywhere else I applied.

Good luck! I hope your results are better than mine were.
Will know not to get my hopes up - thanks.
downinDtown wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At a top 50 school, got 3As and 1A- this semester. 3.9 GPA. If I do as well next semester, do I have a shot at any of those schools? Goal is Texas BigLaw, but i'm sure I can get that by staying at the school i'm at. Looking to transfer for a possible career in academia, better clerkship opportunities, prestige, etc. Thoughts? Suggestions? Also, I have a full ride at the school i'm at now, so I'd definitely have to take that into consideration as well.
Just a quick question: You only have 4 grades so unless you have some 5-credit classes, I'm assuming you are a part-time student, correct? If so, that may affect which schools consider you (see http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 7&t=210646 or http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=126366).

I was in a similar situation, decided not to transfer, and ended up w/ TX biglaw. It really does boil down if you want to pay for prestige. And also consider the opportunity cost of giving up the connections you've built your first year and the advantages that proximity to your target market provides.
No, i'm a full time student. Some classes count for more credit hours than others. Thanks for the input though. I'm interviewing for 1L biglaw summer associate positions now and I think I have a pretty good shot at securing one. That begin said, these are the best firms in my target market that I would want to come back to even if I transferred to any of those schools. Definitely will make transferring a tougher decision.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:25 pm

stillwater wrote:
wiz wrote:If you're already a top student in your target market on a full ride, I would stay put. As for your chances, I think you're a lock at CCN and have a decent shot at H.
real question is...how much is OP willing to pay for PRESTIGE
Good point. You can't put a price on PRESTIGE because your diploma follows you 4 LIFE.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:17 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:48 pm

brotherdarkness wrote: I can't tell how much of this is meant sarcastically, but prestige was something I considered when deciding whether to transfer. Like it or not, the legal industry is full of prestige-whores. Your degree does follow you for the rest of your life and may impact the opportunities you're afforded in the not-so-near future.
i never speak lightly of prestige

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

knope2012

New

Post by knope2012 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:40 pm

transferhopes2013 wrote:IMO (and based on last cycle) if you're outside of the T14 don't bother applying to Yale.
This is just wrong. This year's YLS transfer class has students from Fordham, GW, and UCLA--about 1/4 of the class. Last year had students from Iowa and BU. But posters on TLS have never let incorrect facts get in their way, so why stop now?
Last edited by knope2012 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:45 pm

knope2012 wrote:
transferhopes2013 wrote:IMO (and based on last cycle) if you're outside of the T14 don't bother applying to Yale.
This is just wrong. This year's YLS transfer class has students from Fordham, GW, and UCLA--about 1/4 of the class. Last year had students from Iowa and BU. But posters on TLS have never let incorrect facts get in their way, so why start now?
thats just anecdata, facts with feelings. TLS cant compute. ergo, no non-T14 transfer to Yale.

lionLawyer

New

Post by lionLawyer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:53 pm

I transferred to YLS from T50 this past year. Your first semester grades are better than mine were. Just apply and see. Also, wait until you get your second semester grades back

Canof09

New

Post by Canof09 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:37 am

Do you have ties to TX?

If no, I would go to UT since ties really are important in that market.

If yes, I would go to HYSCCN. No doubt that the top 15-20% of UT gets biglaw, but a substantial portion of the class gets the shaft. Take the superior employment prospects at HYSCCN just in case your GPA takes a dip.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”