St. Johns to University of Minnesota?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bball700

St. Johns to University of Minnesota?

Postby bball700 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:07 am

Hhhhh
Jjjj
Jhh
Last edited by bball700 on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Re: St. Johns to University of Minnesota?

Postby stillwater » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:11 am

bball700 wrote:Recently was admitted as a transfer student to the University of Minnesota from St. Johns University in New York. 3.35 GPA (top 30% of class) first year of law school. With the scholarship I was given upon admittance t St. Johns the tuition to both schools are very comparable tuition wise.

Heres the thing though. Im not confident that i'll place at the same ranking in UMN as it is a better law school. I eventually want to practice in New York. Can i network from UMN even if i place only in the top 50%? Or should i stay in New York at St. Johns where I seemingly can network easier?

this transfer is dumb.

stay at St. Johns. given your rank, i would have a serious self-discussion about you career goals and whether law school continues to be the right decision.

UndecidedMN

Postby UndecidedMN » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:14 am

I moved from NY to MN. I transferred from William Mitchell to UMN. When I talk to people back home in NY, they have no clue about UMN. If you want to work in NY, you have a better chance with St. Johns than UMN. I think you would have better look working in NY by transferring to Fordham or Brookyln rather than transferring to MN. I would think try transferring to Cornell if you could or stay back at St. Johns.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:44 am

Moving to Minnesota if you want to work in New York does not make sense

bball700

Postby bball700 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:06 am

jj
Last edited by bball700 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:26 am

bball700 wrote:
Nova wrote:Moving to Minnesota if you want to work in New York does not make sense

I've already moved to Minnesota over a year ago and have been on a leave of absence from school for that long. So, i wouldn't be moving really. I would just be entering Minnesota Law School with my eyes set on New York.

Trying to get to New York from a Minnesota law school does not make sense

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:55 pm

Which NY schools did you apply to? UMN makes zero sense in this scenario. I'm honestly surprised they even accepted you.

kd5

Postby kd5 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:00 am

UMN 3L here. While I know a handful of students in my year who will be doing BigLaw in NY next fall, they all have crazy good grades, most have law review, etc. Don't bet on being one of such a tiny group.

It's hard to land a job at one of the big local firms here in MN if you're not top 25% and LR.

Return to “Transfers”