Thoughts: Michigan to USC?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thoughts: Michigan to USC?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:56 pm

Looking for some input on how a Mich to USC transfer would work out after 1L.

We'll assume above median grades so it won't look like the transfer was based on poor performance.

The real reason is purely geographic. I'm from the LA area and am quickly learning this just isn't the place for me. I want to practice in LA but would stick out another 2 years here if need be for job prospects. Was hoping, though, that with good grades at Mich I could still snag a job at USC OCI.

Currently have a $67.5k scholly so that would be a loss but I feel it might be worth it.

Any thoughts on how this might play out at OCI?

stillwater

Re: Thoughts: Michigan to USC?

Postby stillwater » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Looking for some input on how a Mich to USC transfer would work out after 1L.

We'll assume above median grades so it won't look like the transfer was based on poor performance.

The real reason is purely geographic. I'm from the LA area and am quickly learning this just isn't the place for me. I want to practice in LA but would stick out another 2 years here if need be for job prospects. Was hoping, though, that with good grades at Mich I could still snag a job at USC OCI.

Currently have a $67.5k scholly so that would be a loss but I feel it might be worth it.

I wouldn't want to be transferring into a lower T14 nevermind a T20. It's a rough business and you are at a school that should allow you to access the California market. I say Berkeley if you must (and obviously Stanford) but otherwise I would stay and focus on grades. It's only 3 years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:11 pm

stillwater wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Looking for some input on how a Mich to USC transfer would work out after 1L.

I wouldn't want to be transferring into a lower T14 nevermind a T20. It's a rough business and you are at a school that should allow you to access the California market. I say Berkeley if you must (and obviously Stanford) but otherwise I would stay and focus on grades. It's only 3 years.

Would my 1L GPA by held side to side with the rest of the 1L class at USC or might there be a bump coming from a t-14?

Odd question but I can't wrap my head around how it would work.

ETA: Gracias

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
stillwater wrote:

Would my 1L GPA by held side to side with the rest of the 1L class at USC or might there be a bump coming from a t-14?

They will look at your Mich grades with respect to your relative position in your Mich class. It would just seem weird I think to some interviewers. Transfers are already a strange oddity even when moving up to the best schools, I just don't know how such a downward departure would be looked at even with the geographic change.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:09 pm

stillwater wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
stillwater wrote:

They will look at your Mich grades with respect to your relative position in your Mich class. It would just seem weird I think to some interviewers. Transfers are already a strange oddity even when moving up to the best schools, I just don't know how such a downward departure would be looked at even with the geographic change.

Got it. I mean i went there for undergrad and lived my whole life in Southern Cal. Also want to practice there so I feel I have a pretty strong case that I saw no need to be so far away from where I wanted to practice. SC has good cred in LA.

But you may well be right.

nebbersa

Postby nebbersa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:15 pm

YOu should definitely not do this. As a transfer myself firms like if they can put that you went to a top school on your firm bio. From my experience, they would NOT like someone who transferred down like that because they are all about prestige. Stick it out - especially with the scholarship. And especially because you have ties to LA, firms will know that you actually intend to practice law here and you should have no problem finding a job here with a Michigan degree because it is a higher ranked school than any of the schools in LA (including USC). Another option you should look into is doing a visiting student program at USC or UCLA for your third year, but you still get your degree from Michigan.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got it. I mean i went there for undergrad and lived my whole life in Southern Cal. Also want to practice there so I feel I have a pretty strong case that I saw no need to be so far away from where I wanted to practice. SC has good cred in LA.

But you may well be right.

U of M does fine out here. You'll have more options nationally if you should decide to work elsewhere in the future.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:23 am

Definitely don't transfer OUT of the T14 in this market.

As another poster mentioned, if you must transfer, Michigan -> Cal (or Michigan -> Stanford if you were in the very top of your class) is the only defensible play

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:51 am

Interesting.

If grades were great at Mich, didn't think transferring to SC would have hurt me that much given SC's presence is so strong there.

I guess I was wrong.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:52 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Interesting.

If grades were great at Mich, didn't think transferring to SC would have hurt me that much given SC's presence is so strong there.

I guess I was wrong.

yup. wrong. Stanford, Boalt or BUST (ie stay at Mich).

Jchance

Postby Jchance » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:20 am

Return to “Transfers”