Transfer Stigma?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer Stigma?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:26 pm

Now that we've been in our new schools for a couple months, have you noticed any transfer stigma? If so, how have you dealt with it, if at all?

I transferred from a TT to T14, and for the most part have not experienced any transfer stigma (to my knowledge). I was told by a fellow transfer that he overheard a homegrown during OCI complain that transfers were taking up their jobs, but that's about it as far as I know.

Just wondering what the experience has been for other recent transfers.

brotherdarkness

Re: Transfer Stigma?

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:23 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:45 pm

No real stigma at GW. You'll find an asshole here or there. The only thing that sucks is that friendships and such are already formed so you miss out on that. But yeah, I have a ton of non-transfer friends and I think that there is no real stigma.

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:02 pm

TTRansfer wrote: The only thing that sucks is that friendships and such are already formed so you miss out on that.

This.

InRemington

Postby InRemington » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:05 pm

BVest wrote:
TTRansfer wrote: The only thing that sucks is that friendships and such are already formed so you miss out on that.

This.

And This

I swear I read every thread on TLS before transfering and do not recall reading this - but it is true. Its not a reason I would have stayed at my former school - but its a difference in the law school experience for sure.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:38 am

Less open hostility or exclusion. I get little glimmers of animosity but not very much. It's more that people just don't care about you one way or another. That's what happens when you don't go to the school as a 1L. But I eventually made a small group of friends that I'm happy with (a few of whom are fellow transfers).

The social stuff has actually been by far the hardest part of transferring. The classes aren't any different, the students aren't really much smarter, etc.

That said, I don't regret my decision at all.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:21 am

I only experience transfer stigma in interviews. All of the students I've met at school don't care about my transfer student status, and many people I interact with on a daily basis don't even know I'm a transfer student.

Lockfast

Postby Lockfast » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:45 pm

Most people don't care, and I haven't experienced any hostility. Some are keen on the fact that you must have killed it to transfer, so that may be the only fact that causes some animosity.

As with the poster above, I only had issues with transfer during OCI.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:15 pm

I will say one or two were annoyed when I got a job. But they were probably assholes from the beginning.

echooo23

Postby echooo23 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:03 am

Lockfast wrote:Some are keen on the fact that you must have killed it to transfer, so that may be the only fact that causes some animosity.

One guy implied that I may have done well at my old school, but I wouldn't do well (or as well) at my new school (presumably, because they're smarter). But otherwise I haven't felt any stigma from anyone else. I agree, though, that I may never feel like "real" student at my new school.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:51 am

Return to “Transfers”