Do I Transfer

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do I Transfer

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:51 pm

I am a rising 2L at a tier 3/4 school in a big market city. I have been accepted into American and Wake. My current school has offered to triple my scholarship which would be about 1/2 tuition. Wake and American offer no funding... Thoughts?

ArtistOfManliness

Re: Do I Transfer

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:54 pm

Drop out unless you can get them to give you a full ride

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:06 pm

Total estimated debt after graduation at each?

Target market?

American is a no.
Last edited by Nova on Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:09 pm

Where is your current school?

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:10 pm

Tell us more about your career goals (the realistic ones -- you're probably not getting biglaw at this point).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:19 pm

I'm in Chicago. I want to go public interest appellate advocacy work. Wake and American have clinics in the fields Im interested in my current school does not. NOT interested in BigLaw, but very interested in judicial clerkship opportunities.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in Chicago. I want to go public interest appellate advocacy work. Wake and American have clinics in the fields Im interested in my current school does not. NOT interested in BigLaw, but very interested in judicial clerkship opportunities.

You don't have a realistic chance at Article III Fed clerkships from any of those schools without a high class rank, so unless you have reason to believe you can graduate in the top 10% or so I wouldn't factor clerkships into the decision unless you're interested in state clerkships. As far as public interest work, do you know what kind of LRAP AU and Wake offer, since you'll be upping your debt a lot to attend?

As an aside, while public interest is an achievable goal, I think "public interest appellate advocacy" is a pretty narrow niche that not many people can claim as a full-time practice.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:51 pm

Total estimated debt after graduation at each?

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:03 pm

Class rank? Law review? And for the love of god,
Nova wrote:Total estimated debt after graduation at each?

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:11 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:32 pm

Only T3/4 in Chicago is John Marshall (Loyola, Kent, DePaul are technically T2) and places only 2% in Fed Clerk, so federal clerkship is out of the question. You might be able to get some kind of state clerkship, but those are hard to predict. Honestly, you are at a tough spot. I think the most rational thing to do is negotiate with JM and see if they will raise the scholy to as close to a full ride as you can get it.

I don't know much about American and Wake, but I don't think they're worth sticker. I don't know what your 1L grades were, but a plus for transfer is you get to start with a clean slate. Do you think you can work harder than ever and get a decent GPA at the new school? If yes, and you are financially supported (affluent parents/grandparents). Maybe, just maybe should you consider those schools. If you are taking out a loan, absolutely not.

The third option is reevaluate just how much you want to be a lawyer. If you still have doubts about it, dropping out is always an option. Not an easy one, but sometime it might be worth considering if you have to take out a huge loan to stay at JM.

guyplus

Postby guyplus » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:18 pm

I must say your odds of success at Wake from Chicago are slim due to lack of ties.  Plus, the deadline has passed for the first two rounds of OCI. There are only like 6-8 employers left to bid on now.

Your grades basically need to have been good enough to transfer into better options than Wake plus have other eye catching employability indicators on your resume, but have chosen Wake due to NC ties, for Wake to be worth sticker. Most private employers have grade cutoffs around top 25 percent for Wake students, so unless you're better than top 10 percent at your current school and have other eye catching characteristics, you literally may not get a single look from anything but the smallest firms. And even then you'll have to get those looks from mass mailing and hustling since OCI is practically over, which will be difficult in NC without ties.  In Chicago, I have no clue how difficult it would be, but my gut says very difficult.

As for public interest, clerkship and government work that would qualify you for loan forgiveness, I wouldn't count on it. North Carolina is one of the most saturated states in the country with 7 law schools. You'll be competing with hundreds of applicants for each opening, a good percentage of which are from NC.

It seems to me that Wake isn't worth the $120k for two years in your situation.

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a rising 2L at a tier 3/4 school in a big market city. I have been accepted into American and Wake. My current school has offered to triple my scholarship which would be about 1/2 tuition. Wake and American offer no funding... Thoughts?

Take Wake. Decent school compared to DePaul.

guyplus

Postby guyplus » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:27 pm

Sorry, my math was way off in my last post. If the school you're currently at is DePaul and 1/2 scholly is all you've got, a transfer is probably worth it unless you have a solid job prospect from DePaul. The ~$40K difference in tuition may be balanced out some by the lower COL in winston-salem. You could save $7200 a year on rent alone if you're currently paying $1K per month. Wake may be worth the $26K difference after COL compensation if 1/2 scholly is the max they give you. That is, of course, if staying in law school is actually a good idea considering the $140K+ debt load.

Return to “Transfers”