Anyone else still waiting on a last minute decision?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Anyone else still waiting on a last minute decision?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:19 pm

All,

I start my law school semester at my current law school in two weeks. However, I am still on the wait list for my top transfer choice and have yet to hear from another school. I was just curious if anyone else was also waiting on a late decision. Additionally, my current law school has e-mailed me asking me what my plans are and that they are willing to work with me. Is it better to wait to have an acceptance and then try to negotiate (not sure if my current law school can access decisions), or tell them I'm still waiting and see if they still negotiate? Thank you for the advice.

User avatar
ArtistOfManliness
Posts: 530
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Anyone else still waiting on a last minute decision?

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Do you have any transfer acceptances in hand, or just the fact that you haven't been rejected yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone else still waiting on a last minute decision?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:54 pm

No acceptance in hand, but currently on the wait list for one (they are claiming it's a space issue). My school's e-mail stated if I was in the process of determining plans, contact them to work out potential options. Can I leverage the last minute possibility of coming off the wait list into $$$?

User avatar
ArtistOfManliness
Posts: 530
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Anyone else still waiting on a last minute decision?

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No acceptance in hand, but currently on the wait list for one (they are claiming it's a space issue). My school's e-mail stated if I was in the process of determining plans, contact them to work out potential options. Can I leverage the last minute possibility of coming off the wait list into $$$?


Hmmmmmm - I dunno, I feel like that's a super week bargaining position. But, short of lying, I guess there's really nothing that you could lose. Although I see no reason for them to budge and give you anything... if the other school accepts you, odds are you'd ask for more money or you'd leave. Its not like you'd withdraw you transfer app for a certain $$

User avatar
MormonChristian
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Re: Anyone else still waiting on a last minute decision?

Postby MormonChristian » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All,

I start my law school semester at my current law school in two weeks. However, I am still on the wait list for my top transfer choice and have yet to hear from another school. I was just curious if anyone else was also waiting on a late decision. Additionally, my current law school has e-mailed me asking me what my plans are and that they are willing to work with me. Is it better to wait to have an acceptance and then try to negotiate (not sure if my current law school can access decisions), or tell them I'm still waiting and see if they still negotiate? Thank you for the advice.



Yes, I know a lot of people who are still waiting to hear from their top transfer choice, most of them aren't waitlisted though. The schools haven't made a decision yet.

If you were happy with your old law school, then stay there. If you were happy but wanted more money, then negotiate more money. Your old law school won't know about your acceptances until later.

Start the negotiation process as soon as you can.

You don't need to let them know everything you have in your hand. Make sure you negotiate from a position of what you need/want instead of from a position of what they are going to do or are doing for you. Reference can be everything.

Best of luck.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone else still waiting on a last minute decision?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:23 am

My current law school starts the semester on Monday and I told them I am still waiting on decisions. Is it time to reach out to these schools and tell them to make a final decision already, or just proceed to tell my law school I am returning and if I get off the WL then I can possibly withdraw? Thanks for the advice.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.