Quality of Law School and Transferring

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CardozoLaw09

Quality of Law School and Transferring

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:23 am

Is it flawed thinking to assume the worse your school the better your chances for getting good grades and thus increasing your chances for transferring? The assumption being that the less reputable schools have relatively less bright students than the more reputable schools.

kyle010723

Re: Quality of Law School and Transferring

Postby kyle010723 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it flawed thinking to assume the worse your school the better your chances for getting good grades and thus increasing your chances for transferring? The assumption being that the less reputable schools have relatively less bright students than the more reputable schools.

I can tell you with 95% certainty that you will not be the top 5% of your class, which is what you will need to transfer from lower tier school.

My guess is you are a 0L, so (1) go to the best law school you can afford; and (2) this is the wrong forum.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it flawed thinking to assume the worse your school the better your chances for getting good grades and thus increasing your chances for transferring? The assumption being that the less reputable schools have relatively less bright students than the more reputable schools.

It might be fair to assume that, if you were able to get into a T14 school but chose to attend a TTT or TTTT, you might have an edge over the competition. Then again, high LSAT scores do not necessarily translate into high law school exam grades.

I think the more important thing to note here is that the lower the school you attend for your 1L year, the lower you'll be aiming when transferring. Being #1 at a T1 school would likely present more options than being #1 at Cooley.

timmyd

Postby timmyd » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:18 am

I would say your premise is generally wrong. It would only be correct if there was a perfect correlation between gpa/lsat and law school performance...there isn't. It would be a terrible move to go to a lower ranked school banking on being high in the class, so much can go wrong. What happens if you have one bad exam for whatever reason? You're chances of being able to transfer (to a school worth transferring to) decrease dramatically. I did 1l at a third tier school and was able to transfer to UT (also got into Gtown) being in the top 5.5% of my class and I assure you there is some luck involved. Law school grading can be very random and unpredictable, your writing just may not resonate with some professors. I will tell you that it is not the most difficult thing in the world to be above median at a third tier school because about 25% of the class really isnt that bright and another 25% dont take it that seriously. The hard part, is finishing at the top. Every student knows the situation and every student realizes they must be in the top 10% to have a career in law....most wont get there.

nowhereman31

Postby nowhereman31 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:57 am

kyle010723 wrote:

I can tell you with 95% certainty that you will not be the top 5% of your class, which is what you will need to transfer from lower tier school.

My guess is you are a 0L, so (1) go to the best law school you can afford; and (2) this is the wrong forum.

Not true. I literally just transferred from a T1 to a T14. Was not in top 5%.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:17 am

Read the rules before posting.

Return to “Transfers”