Should I Go? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I Go?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:00 am

I have a 50% scholarship to BU/BC, and I've been accepted into NYU. Because of the lack of scholarship and additional factors, this will increase my already hefty student loan debt by about $100,000. I have an IP background, and it looks like my chances of getting a big law job from BU/BC are very good. So, my question is, if I'm going to get a big law job either way (though obviously NYU is a more assured chance) should I pay so much extra for NYU? NYU obviously has benefits such as clerkships, and the slim possibility of academia, but are there concrete (financial) benefits to getting a big law job from NYU versus getting one from BU/BC?

Note: I don't particularly want to end up in NY. I'd prefer Boston (BU/BC obviously places fine here) or DC (NYU places much better).

zor

Bronze

Re: Should I Go?

Post by zor » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:21 am

I really don't see any reason to transfer. You're in your target market at the top of your class with some scholarship money. Stay.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:46 am

I wouldn't transfer and I agree with the above. If you are at BC/BU and want Boston and are top of your class you will do great. There's no reason to waste $ and there are downsides to transferring (ex. Every single interviewer asking you so why did you leave?)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:06 am

OP here. Is there any difference working in Big Law from NYU? Is it easier to make partner etc? Or is it all just firm performance, and the effect of NYU is negligible or non-existent?

MormonChristian

Bronze

Post by MormonChristian » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a 50% scholarship to BU/BC, and I've been accepted into NYU. Because of the lack of scholarship and additional factors, this will increase my already hefty student loan debt by about $100,000. I have an IP background, and it looks like my chances of getting a big law job from BU/BC are very good. So, my question is, if I'm going to get a big law job either way (though obviously NYU is a more assured chance) should I pay so much extra for NYU? NYU obviously has benefits such as clerkships, and the slim possibility of academia, but are there concrete (financial) benefits to getting a big law job from NYU versus getting one from BU/BC?

Note: I don't particularly want to end up in NY. I'd prefer Boston (BU/BC obviously places fine here) or DC (NYU places much better).
How strong of an IP background?

Engineering or Biology?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

auds1008

New

Post by auds1008 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:02 pm

MormonChristian wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a 50% scholarship to BU/BC, and I've been accepted into NYU. Because of the lack of scholarship and additional factors, this will increase my already hefty student loan debt by about $100,000. I have an IP background, and it looks like my chances of getting a big law job from BU/BC are very good. So, my question is, if I'm going to get a big law job either way (though obviously NYU is a more assured chance) should I pay so much extra for NYU? NYU obviously has benefits such as clerkships, and the slim possibility of academia, but are there concrete (financial) benefits to getting a big law job from NYU versus getting one from BU/BC?

How strong of an IP background?

Engineering or Biology?

this and also depends on whether you'd want to go to california or not

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:16 am

As long as your data is good for you being able to get biglaw from BU/BC, I'd stay. Your school will have (practically) no direct affect on whether or not you make partner. But it may influence the relationships you develop at the firm (alumni), which in turn may affect partnership chances. Don't base your decision on this, though.

Keep in mind that the "safer" decision would be to transfer, clean up at OCI, and take on more debt. You would basically be guaranteed biglaw, but it would come with an extra price tag (all that debt).

Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”