OCI at Transfer school > Offer > back to 1L school

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OCI at Transfer school > Offer > back to 1L school

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:36 am

Has anyone ever done this? 1) gained transfer acceptance, 2) scored an offer from OCI at the new school, and 3) withdrew from transfer school after getting the firm to assure them that they wouldn't pull the offer if they went back to their 1L school?

This would be a crazy ballsy move, but if a person had multiple offers and knew they were going to turn down some of them ... this could be a legit maneuver to save some serious $$$.

NYstate

Re: OCI at Transfer school > Offer > back to 1L school

Postby NYstate » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:34 am

Is this scifi guy? How can this be a real question?

No, I have never heard of this.

sap

Postby sap » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:27 pm

Most schools also make it clear that you would be committing serious honor code violations by doing something like this after you sign up for OCI. The type of honor code violations that would make a firm perfectly justified in pulling your offer if they wanted to, which they probably would do.

Also, it's lying to your employer on a job application. If you know this is your plan, you can't in good faith say "I go to MVP" without ever setting foot in an MVP classroom or intending to set foot in one either. Lying on a job application is also a pretty good way to get your offer rescinded. I know I wouldn't want a person this willing to deceive me as an employee.

guano

Postby guano » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:34 pm

Wouldn't that require an offer on the spot?

sap

Postby sap » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:36 pm

guano wrote:Wouldn't that require an offer on the spot?

Yeah, this too. My understanding is that by the time you get a 2L SA offer from a firm, you're well into the schoolyear (what with callbacks and everything).

transfer57

Postby transfer57 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:06 pm

I don't think any firms would keep the offer. Most of them probably want to tell their clients "hey, don't worry. We got you. Your attorney went to Prestigious Law School X." They don't want to say "hey, don't worry. Your attorney was accepted as a transfer student to Prestigious Law School X but then backed out last second to save some money."

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone ever done this? 1) gained transfer acceptance, 2) scored an offer from OCI at the new school, and 3) withdrew from transfer school after getting the firm to assure them that they wouldn't pull the offer if they went back to their 1L school?

This would be a crazy ballsy move, but if a person had multiple offers and knew they were going to turn down some of them ... this could be a legit maneuver to save some serious $$$.

I don't know of anyone who has ever done this.

You are a few steps ahead of me. How do you get OCI at the new school before you enroll?

Return to “Transfers”