UT or Gtown

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

UT or GTown

Poll ended at Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:14 pm

UT
75%
GTown
25%

Total votes: 16

timmyd

UT or Gtown

Postby timmyd » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:14 pm

So...here is the question. Georgetown or UT. I will be paying sticker at either (UT is less expensive and I could try and get in-state tuition my third year). I am in no debt right now, thankfully because of scholarship and parents helping me. I am lucky enough that my rents pay cost of living expenses as well as 10k a year wherever I go. In either scenario I will be coming out with less than 100k in debt (around 80 at Gtown and around 60-65 at UT). Georgetown has told me they will try and get me in EIW, while Texas did not seem as optimistic. I can do the write on competition for law review at UT but not Georgetown. I have no geographical preferences but am from Louisiana...so DC might be kind of a culture shock. Thanks for any opinions

biglaw99

Re: UT or Gtown

Postby biglaw99 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:18 pm

Less debt + Law review = UT for the win

- Additionally, if you already feel that DC would be a culture shock then it may make for an uncomfortable adjustment (which I'm sure extra debt doesn't help the situation). I wish you the best of luck either way!

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:24 pm

Where you want to work should factor heavily into this decision and you haven't provided much.

If you want TX biglaw, UT. If you want somewhere else, GULC.

timmyd

Postby timmyd » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:30 pm

I do not have a set market I want to work in. Another way of saying that would be I want to go to the school where I can work pretty much wherever I want (within reason). If I had to pick one place as of today....it would be Texas or Louisiana, but only because I am much more familiar with the area. This could change though, I'm not scared to branch out.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:33 pm

timmyd wrote:I want to go to the school where I can work pretty much wherever I want.

GTown

timmyd wrote:it would be Texas .

UT

It really isn't that hard...

biglaw99

Postby biglaw99 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:34 pm

Just based on the fact alone that you would prefer Texas or Louisiana, I would choose UT in addition the reasons stated above.

timmyd wrote:I do not have a set market I want to work in. Another way of saying that would be I want to go to the school where I can work pretty much wherever I want (within reason). If I had to pick one place as of today....it would be Texas or Louisiana, but only because I am much more familiar with the area. This could change though, I'm not scared to branch out.

Return to “Transfers”