Ohio T2 to Ohio State

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ohio T2 to Ohio State

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:15 pm

That narrows it down to two schools. Is it worth a transfer if I am top 5% with law review at Case Western/UC to transfer to Ohio State? Any significantly better prospects? Price would be the same.

Looking for people who may know the Ohio market.

kyle010723

Re: Ohio T2 to Ohio State

Postby kyle010723 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:44 pm

Did you apply elsewhere? It's hard to believe top 5% only get you OSU.

rtb2008x

Postby rtb2008x » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:52 am

kyle010723 wrote:Did you apply elsewhere? It's hard to believe top 5% only get you OSU.

Agreed

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:50 am

I applied elsewhere and never heard back.

Thus, my predicament.

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:26 am

Did you to OSU's write on?

stu33

Postby stu33 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:02 am

I think it depends, to some degree, on the city you want to practice in and your pre-existing ties. Many Columbus firms, for example, show a preference for OSU grads over Case Western grads. It's not going to keep you out of that market though. You might see a question like, "If you want to practice in Columbus, why'd you choose Cincinnati over Ohio State." Just have an answer prepared.

If I were you, I'd use the transfer acceptance to negotiate a scholarship at my previous school.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:14 am

Alright I'm in a serious bind with the deadline approaching.

It doesn't look like I'll hear on my other transfer apps.

I have ties to Ohio in general (lifelong resident) but NOT to any specific city, though I have family in them all. I would be okay practicing in Ohio but I want the best long term option.

So, my stats again: Top 5 (really 4)%, law review, 1L SA with a firm I don't wish to return to.

Do I bite the bullet and get the hell out of this T2?

Or do I beg for more money? I think this is unlikely an option because the OSU scholarship equals what I'm paying now.

Any help would be GREAT.

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:29 am

Isn't it just like a $25 deposit?

My other thoughts though are that you're better off staying. I know everyday Joe in Ohio thinks Ohio St is the be all end all of higher education, but top of the class and law review at Case is probably just as good if not better for your chances at just about any firm in Ohio including JD.

Edit: wanted to add that I'm just a 1L who is also in the transfer process.
Last edited by UnfrozenCaveman on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:30 am

Ohio State is going to place better nationally than Case or UC. Not as well as a T14, but it's doable if that's what you're shooting for, particularly because the university overall is so big and well-known.

If you're at UC and aiming for Cincinnati, I don't think a transfer will help you much. Otherwise, it's a good move because you'll gain exposure to more employers during OCI (when grades matter most for firms), and you'll have an at least somewhat easier time in non-Ohio markets if you want. It wouldn't necessarily be worth spending a lot more, but with no cost difference, I think OSU is agood choice.

Did you write onto LR at OSU or just grade on at your current one?

Any chance you could accept but then reneg if you get into a T14?

Return to “Transfers”