A lot more people getting accepted this transfer cycle? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
herpderpcity

New

A lot more people getting accepted this transfer cycle?

Post by herpderpcity » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:37 pm

I am wondering if any of you have noticed this but from my school, some people transferred into schools that they would have no shot at getting into based on their first year GPA.

stillwater

Gold

Re: A lot more people getting accepted this transfer cycle?

Post by stillwater » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:54 pm

herpderpcity wrote:I am wondering if any of you have noticed this but from my school, some people transferred into schools that they would have no shot at getting into based on their first year GPA.
conversely, some schools seemed to be a little move heavy-handed with the dings.

Jimbo_Jones

Bronze

Post by Jimbo_Jones » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:51 pm

stillwater wrote:
herpderpcity wrote:I am wondering if any of you have noticed this but from my school, some people transferred into schools that they would have no shot at getting into based on their first year GPA.
conversely, some schools seemed to be a little move heavy-handed with the dings.
I agree with this. It seems that, based on the results posted so far, schools haven't lowered their transfer admissions standards from previous years in the T14. I think this makes sense though. First, they haven't gotten hit that bad with drops in admissions. Second, unlike 0L admissions, schools pretty much know that if you sucked during 1L, you'll likely continue to suck. So its riskier dipping the transfer admissions standards.

Lower schools that got hit super hard with drops in admissions likely dug deeper.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:12 am

Absolutely no way to tell this right now.

biglaw99

New

Post by biglaw99 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:14 am

I agree that there are more people getting accepted this cycle. Due to the brutal market, I believe schools are placing more emphasis on legal work xp such as a 1L SA position at a large firm VS ranking/grades. Nothing will make a school more marketable than showing great employment numbers at large law firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

herpderpcity

New

Post by herpderpcity » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:31 am

I was saying this because I personally know people that applied to and got into schools they had absolutely no shot of getting into. So much so that they would not even be eligible for a lateral transfer, let alone moving up two tiers.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:53 pm

What makes you think they had no shot of getting into? Transfer is a big black box.

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:25 pm

kyle010723 wrote:What makes you think they had no shot of getting into? Transfer is a big black box.
^ This. I got into schools I didn't think I had a shot in He!! at...others were denied when they had better stats than I. I thought more were admitted last cycle, but many had surprisingly bad cycles. I'm not sure there's any way to tell unless you're admissions at a T14 law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”