Hastings vs. Pepperdine

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Hastings or Pepperdine?

Hastings
39%
Pepperdine
61%

Total votes: 18

Anonymous User

Hastings vs. Pepperdine

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:05 pm

I know that this isn't the most attractive topic on TLS, but I would really appreciate anyone opinion.

Most on the site would say "neither, or drop out" but thats not an option.

Price and CoL would be about the same. Pepperdine has the advantage of looking at the beach, while Hastings stares at bums in the tenderloin (not a significant factor, but certainly worth consideration.)

I'm transferring from TTT in the bay area; didn't do so well first semester but all A's second semester, placing in the top-quarter. I want to be in southern california when it's all said and done. The general consensus seems to be that if outside T14, go to school where you want to be. But does Hastings still carry the name that it used to in the legal community and could they place just as well as Pepperdine in southern California? Biglaw is a stretch at either, so "mediumlaw" seems like the most practical aspirations in the realm of desired private practice.

Thank you for your responses

DildaMan

Re: Hastings vs. Pepperdine

Postby DildaMan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:But does Hastings still carry the name that it used to in the legal community and could they place just as well as Pepperdine in southern California?

No to both. Is Loyola an option?

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:13 pm

I wouldn't refer to either school's employment situation as "placing" - you are going to have a hard time finding desirable legal employment out of either (both have low percentages of 501+ attorney firm employment).

Remember, you are going to go through OCI with only your 1L grades from that school - so if you don't get anything through OCI, which is very likely at both schools, you're just going to be taking on a huge amount of debt doing footwork. Ask median-ish students at Hastings or Pepperdine what the job hunt is like, even for "medium law".

If you want southern California, go to Pepperdine. However, the better answer is to get as much scholarship money out of your current school, extern in southern California (you can usually do a full-time externship for a semester at a remote place) and network.

The chances of obtaining legal employment, that you actually want, with salary enough to pay down the very high cost of attendance at these schools is pretty slim. You're pretty much just hoping to get lucky and putting many tens of thousands of dollars on it.

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:19 pm

If it's not too late, you might consider a visiting student application in Southern Cal and try to work during the semester at a smaller firm down there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:49 pm

DildaMan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:But does Hastings still carry the name that it used to in the legal community and could they place just as well as Pepperdine in southern California?

No to both. Is Loyola an option?

Loyola may be an option. Applied there as well but haven't heard yet. I'm assuming that if I got Hastings, Loyola will say yes.

I understand that the job search is going to come down to networking and meeting the right people.

I'm completely aware that this may sound ridiculous, but does anyone put wait on the fact the Pepperdine would be a much more "pleasant" place to study law. That's not what you go to law school for, but it seems like an incredible benefit to have that scenary and options of distractions on those days where you just need to take a break.

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:27 pm

I put weight on the fact that it shows an interest in So Cal. As for the scenery, that's just a bonus you can enjoy while you gaze out the law library window waiting for your spell check to start working.

hsrm528

Postby hsrm528 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:32 pm

Are you getting any money from your current school? Is staying an option?

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm completely aware that this may sound ridiculous, but does anyone put wait on the fact the Pepperdine would be a much more "pleasant" place to study law. That's not what you go to law school for, but it seems like an incredible benefit to have that scenary and options of distractions on those days where you just need to take a break.

Job first, vacation after.

If you want So-Cal, I'd take Pepperdine/Loyola. I wouldn't put any weight on distractions; 2L isn't stressful aside from the job search.

TLSDarkHorse

Postby TLSDarkHorse » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:57 pm

hsrm528 wrote:Are you getting any money from your current school? Is staying an option?

$10k from the old school. In my opinion, not enough to convince me to stay at the bottum of Tier-3. I know every school is hurting in California for jobs with the economy, but I believe that even mid-T2 gives you a much better shot.

Hastings OCI has atleast 30 firms from LA which seems promising, the disadvantage being that I'm not IN Los Angeles where I can network and extern to help job prospects, especially when considering the fact that these firms will only take top 10% of the class anyway.

Friends at Loyola have told me that they'll have about 50 firms at OCI, but I have no knowledge of Pepperdine's numbers. It seems more logical to go where I'll atleast be exposed to more potential employers, right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:02 pm

I guess it really boils down to a question that someone else will need to answer.

Hastings, Loyola and Pepperdine are all pretty closely ranked. Hastings probably carries the most prestige in the legal community. But in this hurting job market, does it make more sense to go to school where you think you want to be? Or do you pursue the school attracting the most firms for OCI (as you say Hastings does).

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I guess it really boils down to a question that someone else will need to answer.

Hastings, Loyola and Pepperdine are all pretty closely ranked. Hastings probably carries the most prestige in the legal community. But in this hurting job market, does it make more sense to go to school where you think you want to be? Or do you pursue the school attracting the most firms for OCI (as you say Hastings does).

none of these schools have anythig approaching prestige. theyre much maligned

BFrankBYangC

Postby BFrankBYangC » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:10 pm

TLSDarkHorse wrote:
hsrm528 wrote:Are you getting any money from your current school? Is staying an option?

$10k from the old school. In my opinion, not enough to convince me to stay at the bottum of Tier-3. I know every school is hurting in California for jobs with the economy, but I believe that even mid-T2 gives you a much better shot.

Hastings OCI has atleast 30 firms from LA which seems promising, the disadvantage being that I'm not IN Los Angeles where I can network and extern to help job prospects, especially when considering the fact that these firms will only take top 10% of the class anyway.

Friends at Loyola have told me that they'll have about 50 firms at OCI, but I have no knowledge of Pepperdine's numbers. It seems more logical to go where I'll atleast be exposed to more potential employers, right?

Read the "ask a law student/graduate" forum thread about Hastings. It doesn't sounds like a good place to be right now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:14 pm

BFrankBYangC wrote:
TLSDarkHorse wrote:

Read the "ask a law student/graduate" forum thread about Hastings. It doesn't sounds like a good place to be right now.

Every person commenting on a school outside T14 says its not a good place to be right now

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BFrankBYangC wrote:
TLSDarkHorse wrote:

Every person commenting on a school outside T14 says its not a good place to be right now

probably should listen

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BFrankBYangC wrote:
TLSDarkHorse wrote:

As someone that was at one of these schools, and now is at a T14 - I can explain why people say that. If you're interested, feel free to PM me.

Return to “Transfers”