Scholarship negotiation w/ current school

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lasersgopewpew

Scholarship negotiation w/ current school

Postby lasersgopewpew » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:51 pm

Currently ranked in the Top 10% w/ LR at my T30. For those of you that have successfully bargained with your 1L schools, what is a fair amount of scholarship $/% to be asking for/expect? Thanks in advance, really appreciate your insight.

sundance95

Re: Scholarship negotiation w/ current school

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:53 pm

What's the school's incentive to negotiate with you? It's not like they need to revise the data that submitted to US News last year if you leave.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:57 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lasersgopewpew

Postby lasersgopewpew » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:58 pm

sundance95 wrote:What's the school's incentive to negotiate with you? It's not like they need to revise the data that submitted to US News last year if you leave.

So, in a transfer situation, they won't offer you more money to stay? Seems like the opposite of what I hear from most transfer students.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:58 pm

lasersgopewpew wrote:Currently ranked in the Top 10% w/ LR at my T30. For those of you that have successfully bargained with your 1L schools, what is a fair amount of scholarship $/% to be asking for/expect? Thanks in advance, really appreciate your insight.

transfer acceptances really help.

Im guessing you dont have any?

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:01 pm

Whats your current scholly?

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Nova wrote:
lasersgopewpew wrote:Currently ranked in the Top 10% w/ LR at my T30. For those of you that have successfully bargained with your 1L schools, what is a fair amount of scholarship $/% to be asking for/expect? Thanks in advance, really appreciate your insight.

It's absolutely mandatory that you have acceptances in hand. Otherwise you have absolutely no leverage.

lasersgopewpew

Postby lasersgopewpew » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:08 pm

In at USC. I got $10K 1L, but wasn't above median for GPA/LSAT. Got the offer from fin aid today, and it's not even half that. Pretty disappointing.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:12 pm

lasersgopewpew wrote:In at USC. I got $10K 1L, but wasn't above median for GPA/LSAT. Got the offer from fin aid today, and it's not even half that. Pretty disappointing.

If it's moving around, I take it the 10k was need-based?

lasersgopewpew

Postby lasersgopewpew » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:13 pm

Nammertat wrote:
lasersgopewpew wrote:In at USC. I got $10K 1L, but wasn't above median for GPA/LSAT. Got the offer from fin aid today, and it's not even half that. Pretty disappointing.

No, it was a recruitment scholly for sure. I didn't get any need-based. The 10K was a one-year award.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:15 pm

lasersgopewpew wrote:
Nammertat wrote:

No, it was a recruitment scholly for sure. I didn't get any need-based. The 10K was a one-year award.

Ahhh... K... well step one is figuring out if you're bluffing or not. You need to know internally if you're willing to stay with virtually no money (so you know how hard to push). If you're legitimately ready to walk away from a bad deal, then you need to write a well-crafted email to their financial aid dean (CC admissions) saying you have been accepted @ USC and due to financial considerations.... give me $$... etc. If you're prepared to walk, you'll come across that way, and be far more likely to succeed. If you're bluffing, that's fine too- just be careful who you piss off.

lasersgopewpew

Postby lasersgopewpew » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:20 pm

Nammertat wrote:
lasersgopewpew wrote:
Nammertat wrote:

Ahhh... K... well step one is figuring out if you're bluffing or not. You need to know internally if you're willing to stay with virtually no money (so you know how hard to push). If you're legitimately ready to walk away from a bad deal, then you need to write a well-crafted email to their financial aid dean (CC admissions) saying you have been accepted @ USC and due to financial considerations.... give me $$... etc. If you're prepared to walk, you'll come across that way, and be far more likely to succeed. If you're bluffing, that's fine too- just be careful who you piss off.

Thank you. That's pretty much what I was thinking, I was just curious as to how much money constitutes a good deal in my situation. Half COA, 25%, another number? I know a "good deal" is a sliding scale, but it would be nice to get an idea of "median" so I know if there's legitimately more to be had, or if they really are maxed out.

I would likely leave for SC - especially if current school doesn't offer me more than they currently are - and definitely would if I get into any of my other schools still pending, unless they gave me the farm, and even then probably still would.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:27 pm

This is an extremely personal decision, and thus I can only be of so much help here... What I CAN tell you for sure is that you need to have a number hard-set in your head for a dropdead. (Otherwise, you'll end up settling for a bad deal.)

Factors to consider:

1) Market you want to end up in
2) Current school's strength in target market
3) Total COA (living, etc)
4) LR / Moot @ current
5) OCI structure... is your system lottery? is SC?
6) Current school's prestige vs. SC?
7) Career goals... BigLaw? If so, check big law rates

At this point you should NOT be using traditional TLS thinking for weighing 0L schools. You are no longer comparing the median at one school to the median at the other- you're comparing the TOP of one with a crapshoot at the other. I highly recommend having a H2H with yourself/SO (if applicable) and figuring out if you're prepared to jump ship. If you're not, I say still go after money for all you're worth... They definitely have it.

Assuming the usual answers to the factors above, and assuming you're currently at a T1 school IN your TARGET market, AND assuming that SC is also in your target market, then I'd want to see at least 30% before I'd give up SC.

lasersgopewpew

Postby lasersgopewpew » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:36 pm

Wow, huge. Thanks very much. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Cornhuskers3

Postby Cornhuskers3 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:42 am

I have very similar numbers except my school is ranked lower. I sent an email asking about continuing scholarship opportunities and met with my Dean of Students. I didn't mention transferring at all until the very end. She basically laid down to me that they have a retention program to fund the top students (renewables are only available to incoming 1ls, anything offered past that is on a 1 year basis and I'd have to go back and ask again), which is basically like the top 5-10 students and I fall just outside of that based on a not final class ranking. I may have an outside shot but don't bank on it. There are plenty of private opportunities blah blah. BSed around for an hour, talked about career paths. Thanked her for her time and told her I had some tough choices to make as I had been accepted to a much higher ranked school. She asked if they offered me a scholarship and I told her they did and that was the end of the meeting. She said she'd let me know by the end of the week if I qualified for the retention program and I got a call that afternoon telling me she was authorized to offer me a 100% scholarship for the upcoming year. I said I'd accept (haven't signed anything, if I get into Michigan I'll peace out).

My biggest bit of advice is don't be too adversarial/guns blazing from the get go. She took the time to ask me a lot of personal questions and I reciprocated.

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:00 am

Nammertat wrote:
Nova wrote:

It's absolutely mandatory that you have acceptances in hand. Otherwise you have absolutely no leverage.

This. A good friend of mine did the same thing with acceptances to our local-ish T14 and a few others (I say this because I prepped him for negotiations - I negotiated my initial scholarship). He showed up with the offers, sat down with the Dean and said he's leaving unless they can make something happen.

He moved up to the full boat and is going to BigLaw starting in September. He probably has max 10K in debt and is in arguably the same position he would have been had he transferred.

Alternatively, a friend from high school transfers from a TT to a lower T14 and paid the price. He's told me, they did not look kindly on his transfer GPA. My point is, negotiations are one part of a big story and you need to weigh the risks of both transferring (and where) and staying (and cash).

Return to “Transfers”