TTTT vs. Northwestern

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

TTTT vs. Northwestern

Poll ended at Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:17 pm

Stay at TTTT
24%
Go to Northwestern
76%

Total votes: 21

Anonymous User

TTTT vs. Northwestern

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:17 pm

I am currently #1 in my class at a TTTT in Chicago (can you guess which one???), where I receive a full ride plus a $10,000 annual stipend. Basically, my school and living expenses are completely taken care of. I have a handful of good connections at big Chicago firms, but I am not sure that the combination of these connections plus my rank is enough to get me into a big firm. I have been accepted to Northwestern, and feel as though I definitely need to bite the financial bullet and go there. Goal is biglaw.

Thanks!

kyle010723

Re: TTTT vs. Northwestern

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:26 pm

If you are #1 at John Marshall, you might be the only person in your school with a possible shot at BigLaw. So the question is going to be what is the cost to attend NU at sticker vs. all cost covered at JMLS.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:30 pm

If you want Chicago biglaw, transfer. It's hard to get Biglaw in Chicago from anywhere right now. If you transfer and do OCI at NU you'll get to be in front of firms that wouldn't give you a second look coming from john marshall.

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:32 pm

If I understand correctly, you had a fully scholly+ living expenses last year. IMO go to NU. You're gonna pay 2/3 what the average NU student would pay for the degree. Sounds good to me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:43 pm

Does anyone have any idea how OCI works for transfers at NU? Do we get the same opportunities as everyone else?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:47 pm

superbloom wrote:If I understand correctly, you had a fully scholly+ living expenses last year. IMO go to NU. You're gonna pay 2/3 what the average NU student would pay for the degree. Sounds good to me.

You're assuming the average nu sticker pays sticker..

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any idea how OCI works for transfers at NU? Do we get the same opportunities as everyone else?

Yup, same as everyone else.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Since you said you are going to a school in Chicago already, I am going to assume your cost of living will be the same for both current school and NU.

Now, you are having a full ride + 10k stipend.

Whereas NU is going to be 54,764 * 2.035 = 111,444. I am accounting for 3.5 percent tuition increase for next year and two years worth of sticker price.

Factor in the 20k stipend you are forfeiting for the next two years, your total cost difference will be $131,444, on top of what you already pay at your current school (Room and board, books, etc). Just something to consider.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:27 pm

I don't think you'll gain a huge advantage from transferring, at least not worth the price tag and related interest. You can do non-OCI with the firms that don't go to your TTTT if you really want. You could get some extra interviews that way. But you'll probably be fine with OCI #1 in your class. In the interviewers' minds, you will either be (1) #1 guy at TTTT (no transfer); or (2) #1 guy from TTTT (transfer).

A degree from NU has intangible value. It's more prestigious. If you want to pay for that, you can.
Last edited by ggocat on Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:32 pm

I'd stay. I think your odds of biglaw or at least a respectable firm job are pretty good right now, and whatever small increase you may gain from transferring to NW isn't worth spending well over 100k for. Though maybe I overestimate the job prospects for the #1 student in the class at JMLS.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:39 pm

I honestly have no idea whether you should stay or go. I don't think anybody ITT can really know. I think your best bet would be to talk to rising 3Ls at your school who were in similar positions to you. They may be biased but they are going to have a better idea than I think any of us can.

Return to “Transfers”