To transfer or not to transfer . . . . Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Stay or Go?

Stay
55%
Go
45%

Total votes: 22

Anonymous User

To transfer or not to transfer . . . .

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:49 pm

I am having some ambivalence about transfering . . .

I like my current school and have developed some relationships there (with fellow students and professors), and I am on LR / at the top of my class. I am at T30 school in a city that I really like and could see myself living. I have a decent scholarship (~$15K/year).

NYU / Columbia is obviously a better school, but I doubt that I'd be able to make LR or do as well at either of these schools. Grades and relationships do not transfer, so I'd have to start over.

In terms of job prospects (and prestige), is it really that much better to be another schmuck at a T10 school or to be near the top of the class at my current school? Is the extra debt / pain in the ass of moving really worth it?

kyle010723

Silver

Re: To transfer or not to transfer . . . .

Post by kyle010723 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:53 pm

If you are already the top of your class at a T1 school in your target market. I think staying might make sense. Going to NYU/Columbia will probably give you better shot at NYC, but if you dont want NYC, then the point is moot.

Transfer13

New

Post by Transfer13 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am having some ambivalence about transfering . . .

I like my current school and have developed some relationships there (with fellow students and professors), and I am on LR / at the top of my class. I am at T30 school in a city that I really like and could see myself living. I have a decent scholarship (~$15K/year).

NYU / Columbia is obviously a better school, but I doubt that I'd be able to make LR or do as well at either of these schools. Grades and relationships do not transfer, so I'd have to start over.

In terms of job prospects (and prestige), is it really that much better to be another schmuck at a T10 school or to be near the top of the class at my current school? Is the extra debt / pain in the ass of moving really worth it?
being that your school is in the top30 makes this a harder decision in my eyes. What are your long-term goals? if you are in a city you would be happy living in and are at the top of your class with law review and a 15k scholarship, I don't see a reason to leave. However, NYU is NYU and Columbia is Columbia, so there is that.

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:56 pm

I don't see why you would really want to leave other than for prestige, and possibly better overall opportunities in case you decide you don't want to live where you are. You're already top of your class at a school that conceivably places well into the market you like. Why transfer?

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:57 pm

What's top of your class, #1 or like top 10% or something? At a T30 it makes a huge difference because biglaw doesn't go into the class as far down as it does at T14s. How well does your school place in markets other than where it's located. Do you have ties to that city?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am having some ambivalence about transfering . . .

If let's say you're at Fordham, you're probably better off staying there than making the move to NYU or Columbia. Provided you're aiming for NYC, you'd probably end up with roughly the same job opportunities, except with $30k more in debt, which is objectively a lot of money. If you're at a T30 school in a city that you really like, then I wouldn't move.

The big wildcard would be alumni-network access at a more prestigious school. I think this is really hard to quantify.

Benjamin1987

Bronze

Post by Benjamin1987 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:08 pm

I can understand your hesitation. However, I believe you are allowing emotions to cloud your judgment. You should definitely go.

Cons:
  • Increased cost.
Pros:
  • Big law;
    Exit options after big law;
    Clerkships;
    Academia.
You have to fly this banner your entire life. I know you don't want to move. I didn't want to go to work today. But I did, because it was the right choice.

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:16 pm

Benjamin1987 wrote:You have to fly this banner your entire life. I know you don't want to move. I didn't want to go to work today. But I did, because it was the right choice.
Going to work and moving aren't exactly comparable...it's a big choice.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:17 pm

I think the key is OP is already going to a T30 school in his target market. And since he distinguished target market from NYU/Columbia, I am assuming his target market is not NYC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:38 pm

If you're in the top 5% at a T1 in your target market, absent some compelling personal reason, I don't see a need to transfer. GL whatever you decide.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:17 pm

kyle010723 wrote:I think the key is OP is already going to a T30 school in his target market. And since he distinguished target market from NYU/Columbia, I am assuming his target market is not NYC.
Thanks for all of the advice.

Although I don't have a "target" market (NYC would be nice), my school is not in NYC, and I could see myself living here for a while (my wife likes it here). The city has a sizable biglaw landscape, and my school places fairly well here. I don't want to reveal to much, but I will say that my school is BU/BC . . . in Boston.

Clerking is something I would like to consider.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:I think the key is OP is already going to a T30 school in his target market. And since he distinguished target market from NYU/Columbia, I am assuming his target market is not NYC.
Thanks for all of the advice.

Although I don't have a "target" market (NYC would be nice), my school is not in NYC, and I could see myself living here for a while (my wife likes it here). The city has a sizable biglaw landscape, and my school places fairly well here. I don't want to reveal to much, but I will say that my school is BU/BC . . . in Boston.

Clerking is something I would like to consider.
Columbia and NYU are not huge powerhouses when it comes to clerking (nobody really is except HYS, to some degree). In fact, Law Review at your current school probably trumps the extra CLS/NYU prestige without LR there.

If you really like Boston, it's really hard to beat being a top student from BU/BC (with the obvious exception of Harvard). If you transferred from BU/BC to CLS/NYU, I think you might even end up closing off the Boston market. While if you stay at BC/BU, the same cannot be said for the NYC market.

My vote is to stay.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”