Michigan or Northwestern? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Michigan or Northwestern?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:08 pm

No ties to either location; would like to work in a large or midsized firm in a large city. Prefer NU's location to Michigan's.

As a transfer, which school will give me a better chance at landing a biglaw job through OCI?

Which school is easier to integrate into as a transfer?

WhiteRabbit

New

Re: Michigan or Northwestern?

Post by WhiteRabbit » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No ties to either location; would like to work in a large or midsized firm in a large city. Prefer NU's location to Michigan's.

As a transfer, which school will give me a better chance at landing a biglaw job through OCI?

Which school is easier to integrate into as a transfer?
If you want Chicago biglaw, NU hands down. Those firms hire more NU grads than UM grads because of the local connection.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:32 pm

Look at employment numbers, I recall NU being better - but that may not be such a gap as to justify one over the other (also, as a transfer who knows how much that applies).

I'd go by preference in location and cost. If you want to live in a city while going through law school, then go NU. If you want a college town (or not a city), then go with MIchigan.

I think that the differences between schools at this level are somewhat negligible for the average student and especially transfers (because who knows how or if those differences will affect their competitiveness at OCI before they even start classes).

If you have absolutely no preference in where you live, if they cost the same...then I'd look at distribution of OCI firms and where you want to eventually work. However, I doubt that even would be much a difference.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:07 pm

OP here.

So far, I've been leaning toward NU because it seems to place a little better in biglaw firms.

Also, I feel like NY firms aren't going to treat Michigan applicants any differently than NU applicants (correct me if I'm wrong here). However, Chicago firms would probably treat NU applicants more favorably. And since I want to work in NY/DC/Chicago, NU might make sense.

But, Michigan is $14,000 cheaper over two years. Also, some people I know insist that Michigan is better because it is ranked higher and has more prestige.

In terms of where I'd want to live, it's hard to beat Chicago downtown as a location. But that said, I really don't want this factor to be outcome determinative. I'm willing to go to school in a college town, I've done it for a while now (through undergrad and law school so far).

edit -- I'd particularly like any insight on how transfers do at these schools. A lot of the information I've found is just how general students at the schools do, and that's definitely important information. But from what I hear, some schools seem to integrate transfers better than others.

WhiteRabbit

New

Post by WhiteRabbit » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

So far, I've been leaning toward NU because it seems to place a little better in biglaw firms.

Also, I feel like NY firms aren't going to treat Michigan applicants any differently than NU applicants (correct me if I'm wrong here). However, Chicago firms would probably treat NU applicants more favorably. And since I want to work in NY/DC/Chicago, NU might make sense.

But, Michigan is $14,000 cheaper over two years. Also, some people I know insist that Michigan is better because it is ranked higher and has more prestige.

In terms of where I'd want to live, it's hard to beat Chicago downtown as a location. But that said, I really don't want this factor to be outcome determinative. I'm willing to go to school in a college town, I've done it for a while now (through undergrad and law school so far).

edit -- I'd particularly like any insight on how transfers do at these schools. A lot of the information I've found is just how general students at the schools do, and that's definitely important information. But from what I hear, some schools seem to integrate transfers better than others.
I think you are right about the biglaw placement. And I think 14k is pretty negligible as a factor in the decision. As far as the living situation here's something to remember. At NU, you can be three years ahead on important connections, as well as experience what its like to live there and factor that into your decision to pursue biglaw in Chicago. At UM, you will not be working in Ann Arbor after graduation, so you will eventually have to move to a new city at the beginning of your career and make new connections. Just something to think about.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:18 pm

Northwestern is the better choice since it is a target location for your post-law school career.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”