Stay v. USC

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Stay v. USC

stay at USF
22%
transfer to USC
78%

Total votes: 18

DarcyandElizabeth

Stay v. USC

Postby DarcyandElizabeth » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi TLS, I have a tough decision to make very soon and I would like your insight on it. I'm debating whether or not I should stay at my home law school which is USF in CA or transfer to USC.

Here's the situation:

I am top 5% at USF and I am invited to law review there. I have a $26K/year scholarship and can live at home to cut down on COL. If I graduate from USF I will owe a principle balance of $80K.

At USC I will have to pay sticker price and will most likely graduate with a principle balance of $150K (this includes the loans I borrowed for 1L at USF). My transfer app to Berkeley was declined so since I want to go a T20 law school, USC is most likely my only choice (haven't heard from UCLA yet but at this point I'm not hopeful; plus, I will essentially face the same dilemma for UCLA).

I am a SF native and would like to work in the bay area upon graduation. I would like to work at a big firm but I will not be devastated if I don't get an offer (as long as I can be gainfully employed at a midsized firm). While USF is still reputable in the bay area, it's rankings have slipped dramatically (#144 in 2013) so I'm afraid I will have a hard time finding a job. Is moving up to USC (#18) worth all the extra debt and sacrificing being top 5% at USF? With that, please let me know if you think I should stay or transfer. Feel free to leave a comment/reply.

Thanks!

hsrm528

Re: Stay v. USC

Postby hsrm528 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:01 pm

Hey! I'm a USF'er too so I get where you're coming from. (and might know you :D) I'm also top 5% and transferring out because when you look at USF's employment numbers I'm just not comfortable with the chance I'd get a job much less big law or midsize firms. I also don't have any SF connections in the legal market so I felt like breaking in would be really tough. It might be different for you if you feel like you have connections who can get you a job. At the very least I think you should get more money out of USF. They're giving 31k to some 1Ls coming in and I know there's quite a few of us with that 26k a year that are leaving so there's abandoned aid around.

But really, look at the numbers. USF has about 37% unemployment after nine months:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=sanfranciso&show=chars

Compared to USC's 14%:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=usc&show=chars

Numbers like that weighed heavily on my decision. Maybe things will look up with the new dean...but the market in California is tight and I'm concerned about how I'm going to pay back any debt with a USF law degree even if it's less. If I were in your shoes...I'd probably go.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:13 pm

I transferred to USC last year. I had no problems getting interviews back in the Bay Area, although the bulk of OCI interviews available were in So-Cal. I would recommend transferring; nearly all of the transfer class got spots in big-law this summer.

PM me if you have specific questions.

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:49 am

DarcyandElizabeth wrote: Is moving up to USC (#18) worth all the extra debt and sacrificing being top 5% at USF? With that, please let me know if you think I should stay or transfer. Feel free to leave a comment/reply.

Thanks!

Congrats on being Top 5% and making law review.

I think it depends on what type of law you plan on doing. Public Interest --No Way.

The big question is can you handle all the USC debt?

I would hold out for UCLA though.

I didn't get into Berkley either.

Return to “Transfers”