Michigan v. Wait for Columbia v. Stay Put

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

What would you do?

Stay at current school
1
7%
No Doubt - Go to Michigan
7
50%
Wait it out for Columbia, then decide
6
43%
 
Total votes: 14

Anonymous User
Posts: 273369
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Michigan v. Wait for Columbia v. Stay Put

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:13 pm

Thought I'd post this here to see what other people might do in my situation. I'm not going to name my current school, but it probably won't be that hard to figure out.

Just finished my 2d year as a part-time student at a tier 1 school in a large city. I have no financial aid, because I was initially a wait listed candidate. I am now within the top 10% (while working full time) and a member of our Law Review. Love the school, the city, the faculty, my friends, etc... I had hoped my school would cough up some cash after I was admitted somewhere, but that has been futile.

I have been accepted to Michigan and am still waiting to hear on Columbia. Their merits are self-evident.

My concerns are (1) starting in Big Law but being able to lateral into Big Fed and (2) keeping my debt load manageable. I tend to flip every 5 minutes on which is more important, hence my current dilemma.

My biggest sticking point is finances. I've done 2 years of PT tuition + 2 years working full time to have a salary for my living expenses. If I go to Mich., I have 2 full years of tuition plus taking out some loans for COL (I'll cover the rest through savings and other means of income). My best estimates are that I'll have to take out ~$75k more for current school, but closer to $120k (at least?) for Michigan (even more from Columbia). This is, of course, less any of next summer's SA salary I put toward tuition.

Big Law is a reasonable target from my current school with my grades + law review. I assume Big Law would also be a lock from Michigan or Columbia. Thus, to me, the immediate exit from law school is a wash. Assuming I don't screw up my interviews, I'll likely have something.

Fed work is going to be harder from my current school, though not impossible (or so some Google and LinkedIn searching shows me). From Michigan, I assume it's much easier. Michigan also has an LRAP that covers government work, so even if I don't pay off all my loans in big law, that would help.

How would you decide? [Waiting out for Columbia is an alternative in my mind. Current school might play ball then.]

transferhopes2013
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:20 pm

Re: Michigan v. Wait for Columbia v. Stay Put

Postby transferhopes2013 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:20 pm

Enjoy Michigan.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273369
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan v. Wait for Columbia v. Stay Put

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:38 pm

Can I ask why you'd make that decision? I know that Fed jobs are very difficult to come by, so is the extra $60-75k in debt worth it, especially if I do end up staying in private practice, where I currently have solid shots at Big Law and ok shots at Big Fed down the road?

User avatar
UnfrozenCaveman
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Re: Michigan v. Wait for Columbia v. Stay Put

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:00 pm

If you want federal govt work, why wouldn't you transfer? An extra 60-75 thousand sucks, but opens up way more opportunities and you'll be able to handle it easily with a few years of BigLaw and frugal living.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273369
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan v. Wait for Columbia v. Stay Put

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:15 pm

UnfrozenCaveman wrote:If you want federal govt work, why wouldn't you transfer? An extra 60-75 thousand sucks, but opens up way more opportunities and you'll be able to handle it easily with a few years of BigLaw and frugal living.


For one, I'd be giving up Law Review and presumably the opportunity to clerk. As I indicated (or tried to) fed work + clerkships aren't impossible from my school. I wouldn't transfer if I felt confident that it was at least an option and not completely foreclosed by my degree. I'm also pretty debt averse (which is why I'm going PT as it is) and I'm quickly reaching my upper limits. I just want to ensure I make a well-reasoned decision.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.