UChi v. B v. NYU

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

UChi v. B v. NYU

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:58 pm

Never thought I'd make a thread like this.

Pertinent Info:
-Strong CA-ties & want to practice in so cal.
-Interested in BigLaw (only so cal)
-Interested in Clerkships/potentially academia (down the line).

I know B places well in so cal firms, what about the other two? Is it worth it to go to the east coast/midwest, if I want to end up in CA upon graduation?

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

UnfrozenCaveman

Re: UChi v. B v. NYU

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:35 am

Why would you not go Berkely if you want only CA?

sapien

Postby sapien » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:42 am

Berkeley and it's not even close.

nucky thompson

Postby nucky thompson » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:23 am

B for sure - now you should withdraw from Chicago ;)

Benjamin1987

Postby Benjamin1987 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Never thought I'd make a thread like this.

Pertinent Info:
-Strong CA-ties & want to practice in so cal.
-Interested in BigLaw (only so cal)
-Interested in Clerkships/potentially academia (down the line).

I know B places well in so cal firms, what about the other two? Is it worth it to go to the east coast/midwest, if I want to end up in CA upon graduation?

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

IMO if you are truly interested in academia the best choice is C or N (pick a name out of a hat). Also, those schools will not limit your mobility upon graduation. Not one bit. Plus, you plan to live in CA the rest of your life, why not get out and see something different while you can? Boalt grades are extremely successful, but common place in CA. There may be some value in being cut from a different cloth. However, your statement "potentially academia," leads me to believe that you don't really want academia. You just think the idea is kinda cool.

On the other hand, Boalt grades have a tremendous network established in CA. The Bay is a great place to live and cost of living is no higher than Chicago or NY.

In the end, you need to decide whether you truly want academia. If you just want CA Big Law you can't go wrong with any of these choices, but I'd go with Boalt and tap into there insanely rich CA OCI.

Also, as a side, be wary of advice you get from people in this thread. A lot of your core readers are others waiting to hear from these schools right now. Make an appointment with these schools Career Services Offices. They can assist you best.

NYC2012

Postby NYC2012 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:08 am

Berkeley, for real. Another SoCal native living in NYC here, and trust me, you're not missing anything.

Return to “Transfers”